pending ban, ohio outdoor woodburners.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjgmc96

Reaction score
i received a letter from central boiler informing me of ohio epa's draft for outdoor wood boiler rules. do a search, OAC Chapter 3745-115. the proposed rule if enacted, will eliminate existing outdoor wood furnaces in use today in ohio by 2015. i am outraged and have responded to my legislators. please read the proposed rule changes and decide for yourself what action is appropriate.

Would the new Central Boiler gasification unit be legal after the deadline date? Maybe they want to sell these units to the people that have the old style boiler.

Last edited:
I think it is great

They are letting their customers know what is on the block. That way their customers can help battle the war against OWBs

As an industry leader maybe CB could have been just a little bit ahead of the curve and made more efficient boilers.

Is CB going to give customers 'cash back' towards a new owb after their already purchased unit becomes illegal to use? The EPA stepping in has been predictable for at least a decade now.

What is different here Treeco is the proposed banning of units already in place and operating.

When one considers that;

1. There are untold ???illions of non EPA compliant stoves still operating producing smoke AND unregulated in Ohio

2. There are ???illion people putting wood in open fireplaces (and getting a net LOSS in heat in the hose due to open flues) just for the joy of it and watching it burn meanwhile producing smoke in Ohio and yet they are not regulated either.

Why are OWB owners being lashed out at by the EPA, whipping boys, plain and simple. Jump on the band wagon because the :censored: liberals out east are doing it. It isn't like OWBs are on every other house in Ohio causing a fog in the air. The excuses are copied right out of the lore on Internet sites. OWB owners all (implied all) burn trash, garbage, tires, treated wood and are in general low life types whos main aim in life is to make someone else miserable (again implied). They also act like complaints are coming in faster the the letters can be opened and the fact is there are like almost NONE. Just a few complaints that may or may not be factual but are played up to be thousand times bigger than the facts. Every one who has real world experience with a OWB (as opposed to computer screen experience) knows that they work in cycles. The tree huggers get a kick out of taking pics the instant one comes to high fire. Then the pic is posted on the Internet with the implication being they ALL smoke ALL the time and it is far from the truth. What pollutes more? Dence smoke for a minute and then a clear fire followed by almost zero emissions in a the off cycle when the draft is off OR a wood stove that smoke a light haze continuously? my Guess? the same for both giving equal amounts of wood burnt. Most,if not all of the ridiculous pollutant claims are from readings taken at high fire, again implying that they put out the same amount 24/7. I also get a kick out of people saying "look the OWB builders are now making new designs, see look! they are admitting they make bad products" Agian :censored: I say. The manufactures are simply trying to stay in business by supplying what the government is FORCING them to build. People who own other types of wood heating equipment and ballyho this crap should read deeper into the regs. The EPA hates all types of wood burning equipmet saying it ALL pollutes many times more than other forms of heat. They want it all banned boys. Go to the Mc Ds for second job to afford heat. Then they get tax from payroll plus tax from fossil fuels sold. When we go to the woods for heat they get ZILCH.

As I said before, if a person thinks its all about saving the earth,, well,, they ought to go to town more often.

Sorry for the rant folks, I will be quiet now

I feel for you Ohioans. Serious bummer for those who invested. In Maine here we have some of the same type legislation on the table or in the frying pan, not sure which and I can tell you that it's always a few bad apples that cause this too happen. In my townm they have a tool rental place with an OWB in his parking lot. The guy owns allot of property and gets his own wood etc. On foggy or low pressure days, that thing would really smoke it up until he wised up and didn't run it on those days. The damage was done at that point though and people developed a negative attitude. We have loads of people burning wood (they have too). Almost no problems to speak of EXCEPT, this guy who screwed it for many others. It's always that way unfortunately. Maybe taller stacks? I don't know the answer but it does suck for the people who run theirs responsibly.

i e-mailed the governor, epa and my reprisentatives

actually got a responce back from Gov. Strickland thanking me for voiceing my opinion and he was forwarding the email to the ohio epa. did not get a responce from the others. I also mailed second set of letters to all, yesterday.

As an industry leader maybe CB could have been just a little bit ahead of the curve and made more efficient boilers.

Is CB going to give customers 'cash back' towards a new owb after their already purchased unit becomes illegal to use? The EPA stepping in has been predictable for at least a decade now.

My dealer said he would give a trade in allowance on the old unit if I ever decided to change sizes or models.

Latest posts

Back