Perpetually worried about tree falling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpasquini

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is a black locust tree, at least I suspect... that grew up volunteer in the backyard, and it grew fast. There are actually two, a little too close together at this size and they have been leaning apart from each other as trees are apt to do in this situation. They are VERY tall now, towering height both of them. I had no idea they would grow this fast or so big.
However, this one has a pronounced lean, and its toward my house and the neighbors'.
To make matters worse, it has some kind of injury right where I would not want it to be. We think (after discussing with an arborist once) from a lawn mower at a young age.
As you can see, the injury has two large taproots, thankfully, which appear to give it additional support. Other than this, the tree appears healthy and is fully leafed, if not growing even taller.
A couple people have come out to look at the tree over the years. A tree cutter claimed this type of tree has a very deep tap root and not to worry about it, he said this tree (in his experience) never falls down. An arborist also looked at the tree, he was the one who pulled the bark off exposing the wound. He seemed to think it was better for the tree with it not being covered.

Yes, I'd take it down, but we're looking at $1200 estimate and I'm out of work currently. Not to mention killing the tree, which I hate to do unnecessarily.
Okay, so on to today. I'm in the backyard and I notice on the far side (away from the lean) the earth rises up a bit to the base, and some odd cracks in the ground, that seem not to be elsewhere in the yard Is this a sign the tree is working its way toward falling? Or am I being paranoid.
Would appreciate feedback, and I can take more pics if needed, thanks!

Attachments

• P1130816.JPG
    P1130816.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 97
  • P1130820.JPG
    P1130820.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 100
  • P1130819.JPG
    P1130819.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 99
  • P1130817.JPG
    P1130817.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 96
  • P1130818.JPG
    P1130818.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 79
Trying to get another photo. The tree is so big for a yard this size, I can't get the whole thing in one picture.

Attachments

• P1130825.JPG
    P1130825.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 43
Locust uproot all the time, especially tall narrow ones. Yes, cracks like that could mean uprooting.

Yes, I'd take it down, but we're looking at $1200 estimate

that dont look like a $1200 removal... apart from the near lines looks a easy job to sort, perhaps go get some other quotes..
And yes it does seem to be heaving over if you can lash a good solid rope up high over upper fork then back to the other tree may give you some buffer time while sort prices..

Well I forgot to mention that it has always leaned like that, it grew leaning due to it being next to the other tree. In fact it doesn't seem to have appreciably moved at all, other than the cracks in the dirt.
I don't know why a tree cutter told me they have a very deep tap root and never fall over. Seems counter productive to his business too considering he would have made money off the hiring. And of course the arborist who said it was OK.
Strange how you can get completely conflicting advice on issues like this :/

In the meantime I'm wondering about branch cutting. I have a stick saw and can remove some branches on the lean side to reduce the weight in that direction. Only will that make potential topping all the more violent, since those branches would help cushion the fall? I can't decide which is worse.

?Get other quotes that is an easy tree get it quoted to put on ground and cut to handle able size, here 350.00 would put that lil puppy in the dirt and take 1 1/2 hours tops!

Most trees lose their tap root at a early age. Most stabilizing root are found in the first 18 inches. (Or less) If the ground is fracturing around the base, thats not a good sign. Can you see the ground move on windy days? A little rain and some wind she could go over. But thats if the fractures are being caused by the tree and not something else.
Easy removal. Get more qoutes. 1200 seems high. If that tree fell it probably would do the damage your thinking it would.

Locust uproot all the time, especially tall narrow ones. Yes, cracks like that could mean uprooting.

Yep, I have lucked into several of them for firewood over the years. As for a'tap root'? From the uprooted ones I have seen, there is no tap root at all, jsut a mass of roots spreading out.

Latest posts

Back