pesty woodpecker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,I was just wondering if anybody has any tried and true ways to chase away a woodpecker that has been visiting one of my clients trees. The white pine has an old wound from a branch that was torn off by wind about ten yrs ago and a pair of large piliated woodpeckers have been visiting it every morning. The tree offers alot of shade to her house and would like it to remain there at least until she is deceased, she is 94. dbh of the tree is about 28 in and the wound is about 7 feet high. besides this wound the tree seems to be healthy.My client,knowing I'm an avid hunter, asked me if i would ventilate the birds with my shotgun.But knowing the birds are protected and they are probably tough and chewy i declined her option. thanks for any info its greatly appreciated!

I put out birdfeeders and woodpeckers visit them. The more they eat there, the less they will eat elsewhere. When squirrels or big birds are a problem, I install big houses for them to live in so they let the trees alone a little. The lady may like seeing and hearing birds; they are friends to us and the trees.

woodpecker damage

I've always used pine tar on woodpecker holes. They don't like the taste and will usually go elsewhere. I get it from my local pharmacy - it's an ingredient in many skin prescriptions. It's also used to 'paint' chickens that are being pecked by other chickens (to keep them from being pecked to death).

Back