petrol ratings uk v usa?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotclayshooter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi guys in the uk our unleaded is 95 ron octane is this better than what you use in the USA?
i think super is 98 ron
normal unleaded is running at £1.05 a litre at our cheapest supermarket £4.77 a uk gallon 4.546 litres!!! thats £3.97 a us gallon or $7.42
i ask as i have a us model ms280 that will only run nice fully lean on the h i wondered if the diff could be from the octane rating? stihl oil at 40:1

When you are teasing the lean side, higher octane fuel might be a bit of insurance but that is risky economy. I use the higher octane fuel for my mixed fuel since it seems not to go stale as quick but I make sure the high speed jet is plenty rich. Our regular gasoline is Can. $1.12 a litre. Not sure what the Pound to $ conversion is but sounds like you are paying considerably more than Canadians. Figure in what an average working mans hourly rate is there and here might make it even more relatively expensive.

When you are teasing the lean side, higher octane fuel might be a bit of insurance but that is risky economy. I use the higher octane fuel for my mixed fuel since it seems not to go stale as quick but I make sure the high speed jet is plenty rich. Our regular gasoline is Can. $1.12 a litre. Not sure what the Pound to $ conversion is but sounds like you are paying considerably more than Canadians. Figure in what an average working mans hourly rate is there and here might make it even more relatively expensive.
I'm not paying a 1.12 yet more like a 1.02 a litre ( no pst sales tax here:) Yet two weeks ago I was getting reg for .96 a litre. I had a chart somewhere actually I think it was a OM I had that showed the equivalent Rom and Oct Ratings And now I can't find it:mad: I have also herd that adding two stroke oil lowers the oct of the fuel? So I say run Premium and leave it at that.
I remember when I first started driving gas was .39 or .41 a litre!!!

Last edited:
when i say fully lean i mean with the limiters still intact but it still 4 strokes even at that setting i just wondered if the carbs for uk and usa/canada were set up different from the factory
i have a canadian 455 rancher and it runs a treat
fuel is up £0,10 a litre here in the last few weeks diesel is between £1.09 and £1.13 a litre

95 (RON) in the UK would be 91 (R+M/2) in the US.

I do think fuel quaility in the UK is better than the US. I've never had fuel mix smell bad after being stood for 6 months or more, but it seems lots of perople in the US get this.

I avoid supermarket market fuel if at all possible. If i run my car on Tesco 99RON it pinks on full power, but is fine on Shell's 98RON V-power.

I was milling this morning with my MS660. Stihl mineral oil at 40.1 with the saw running a little rich for cooling. Seem to run OK, but down a little on power maybe. Next mix was Castrol Racing Power1 2T (or something like that) at more like 50.1 and it seemed to accelerate a lot better and have more power. Either that or the fumes were getting to me :crazy1:

I've got a US Husky 372 that runs just fine over here. I'd say try Shell, Texaco or ESSO with synthetic oil at 50.1 and see how it is then.

Cheers ironbark do you use regular or super in your saws might be worth a try, Every other 2 stroke i have runs great just trying to get the 280 spot on before it goes on ebay

I use regular 95RON unleaded, but stick to Shell, BP or ESSO. Filled my car and a 10L can up the other day......just over £71...:censored: crazy.

I just love the guys that run a single brand over another. Around here the gas comes from the same tank and gets shipped to all the local stations no matter who's name is on them and its all supposed to be better than others. But what do i know i just make the stuff...Bob

Well I can't speak for what happens in the US, and I used to think it was all a big con in the UK, but I've changed my mind. I'm sure the base petroleum spirit is the same, but some companies blend with bio fuels and some have different detergents and additives.

A few months ago a large supermarket was supplied with a bad batch of fuel. It affected thousands of motorists all over the country causing damage to the exhaust gas monitoring sensors. Only affected that supermarket.

Back