Picking out a new chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil66

Reaction score
I am a certified arborist from NH and I have been taking on more and more tree work. I am looking to buy a new chainsaw and need some advice in picking one out. I know it is going to be a costly purchase and want to get the right saw the first time. I will need a saw that can fell, buck and limb oaks, maples and pines. I will be felling trees that are no larger then 20”. The saw will see use about three times a week for extended periods of time. I know the new saw is going to be a Stihl, I am just having a hard time picking out the right model to suit my needs. I went to my local dealer and he suggested MS 270 or 290. I didn’t know if these were solid enough for what I will be doing. I was leaning more towards the MS 260 pro. Any suggestions, advice or comments are welcome. Thanks for reading.

Are you planning on doing any climbing with it or just ground saw? If its just a ground saw I would probably go with 361 or 260 ( if you can find one) for a less expensive option. The 260 pro is a good saw but I think the only difference between that and the reg 260 is only the decomp button. No one should need a decomp on a saw that small. I think the 270 now replaced the 260 but its made to the Mid Range standards not like the old 260 which I believe was made to Pro standards.

The 361 is only a little more money then 260 pro, slightly heavier with more power and very versatile if your staying on the ground (although it does come in the tree quite often). If your planning on going up in trees also I would maybe think about 2 saws. If your trying to limit your budget for now get the 270 for the ground and a 192 for the air. Although I am a firm believer in getting the best saw you can afford or maybe kinda cant afford. 6 months from now when your rolling and decide its time to get better or bigger saws you will wish you had bought them in the beginning like maybe 361 and 200t for in tree.

Final though... 260 -270 will run a 20" bar okay but not great so if your planning on them 20" DBH trees often go with a bigger saw. When felling bigger trees a saw that is powerful enough to handle the job and rip through the trunk is very important safety wise. You dont want your saw bogging or sluggish when your deep in your back cut.

Last edited:
If your cutting and felling up to 20" I would go 361. However, the 260 is my darling and my latest favorite. I have a 16" bar on mine and I can cut and limb with it all day, as well as climb with it in bigger wood than I care to use my 200T on. I have a 361 with a 20" bar that I usually use for the type of work your talking about (although it's in for repairs). I think you would be able to handle anything your describing most efficiently with a 361.

if no climbing is involved.

i would go with the 346xp NE or the 361.260 is gutless by todays standards.:hmm3grin2orange:

If the money isn't an issue, then go for the 260 Pro.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/comparison.html

I love my 260, but I see no reason for a decomp and adjustable oiler on a saw that size. Therefore I think the 260 is fine and no reason to go to the 260 pro. The way I understand it those are the only only differences.

In the chainsaw forum you'll find hundreds if not thousands of threads on this very topic.

Get a Husky 372XP!! There I said IT!! KILLER SAW!! put a 20" bar on it and WOW!! Up in the tree is amazing..... Cut off pieces 8feet long and 16 or 18" and drop then flat!! and that's sugar maple, locust, hard wood! Just KILLS IT!! Try one out!! if you haven't.

Last edited:
IMO the 270 or 260 is not large enough to run 20''bar with any authority, let alone in oak. I will say that the 361 is the saw that you need. Sure the 290-310-390 will run 20'' but not with near as much speed as the 361. Do yourself a favor and go with the 361!:cheers:

i am a certified arborist from nh and i have been taking on more and more tree work. I am looking to buy a new chainsaw and need some advice in picking one out. I know it is going to be a costly purchase and want to get the right saw the first time. I will need a saw that can fell, buck and limb oaks, maples and pines. I will be felling trees that are no larger then 20”. The saw will see use about three times a week for extended periods of time. I know the new saw is going to be a stihl, i am just having a hard time picking out the right model to suit my needs. I went to my local dealer and he suggested ms 270 or 290. I didn’t know if these were solid enough for what i will be doing. I was leaning more towards the ms 260 pro. Any suggestions, advice or comments are welcome. Thanks for reading.

Get a Husky 372XP!! There I said IT!! KILLER SAW!! put a 20" bar on it and WOW!! Up in the tree is amazing..... Cut off pieces 8feet long and 16 or 18" and drop then flat!! and that's sugar maple, locust, hard wood! Just KILLS IT!! Try one out!! if you haven't.

NO!! GET AN MS880!!! THEY ARE GREAT UP IN THE TREE!!! KILLER SAW!!!.....:dizzy:

IMO the 270 or 260 is not large enough to run 20''bar with any authority, let alone in oak. I will say that the 361 is the saw that you need. Sure the 290-310-390 will run 20'' but not with near as much speed as the 361. Do yourself a favor and go with the 361!:cheers:

I agree.

I'm looking for a larger saw and the MS361 is the smallest I would consider.

:chainsaw:

Many alternatives to Stihl!!!

Dolmar/Makita 5100(definately number 2 on the list!!!), 6400, 7900(cheaper than Stihl 361 but much more power, same build quality!!!)
Solo 651, 656
Husqvarna 346xp NE(definately on the top of the list!!!), 353, 359
Jonsered (equivilant models to Husqvarna only different handling and shape)
if it has to be an overpriced Stihl 260(somewhere further down on the list), 361

Good luck

Has to be a Stihl? Why limit your options? I second the 372XP, with a 20" bar, about as good as it gets for power to weight ratio and they are very well built saws....Cliff

I think a 372 is a bit overkill for a tree with max diameter of 20" AND would be way more than needed while climbing.

I have a 361 with a 20" bar that I usually use for the type of work your talking about (although it's in for repairs).

Stihl 361 "in for repairs" = "in the lab working on a cure for swine flu pandemic"

Latest posts

Back