Picking out a new chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sbhooper

sbhooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have both Stihls and Huskys. They are all good saws. If you are going for a single saw, then I would look at the Stihl 361/Husky 359/357xp range. I have not run the Dolmars, Makitas etc. Whichever saw you pick, MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE GOOD DEALER/SHOP SUPPORT. That is more important than the brand name.

Smokerr

Smokerr

ArboristSite Operative
The MS260 PRO is the only 260 saw listed now.

That said, the 20 inch max tree disamter is well within the 260 or the MS270/280 capabilities.

You don't even have to run an 20 inch bar on them. As soon as you move down the trunk you will be sub 20 inch quickkly (evenif cutting rounds).

The MS260 is lighter, and that may be an issue.

If weight is not the driver, the MS270/280 both have more power (4/10 for the 280).

What you don't want to do is buy a saw that you only use its full capabilities less than 20% of the time. The MS361 is reputed to be a great saw, but its 2 lbs heavier than the MS260.

You may wind up with a saw above your first choice and one below, but the MS260/270/280 are terrific mid range choices.

tree md

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Personally, I would hate to try to stump a 20" DBH tree with my 260. For limbing, light bucking and even climbing the 260 is great but for heavier bucking, felling or stumping I'm reaching for my 361 or 044 but that's just me.

joatmon

joatmon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Get a Husky 372XP!! There I said IT!! KILLER SAW!! put a 20" bar on it and WOW!! Up in the tree is amazing..... Cut off pieces 8feet long and 16 or 18" and drop then flat!! and that's sugar maple, locust, hard wood! Just KILLS IT!! Try one out!! if you haven't.

NO!! GET AN MS880!!! THEY ARE GREAT UP IN THE TREE!!! KILLER SAW!!!.....:dizzy:

NO!!!! GET A MAC SP125!!!!! THEY ARE GREAT CAUSE YOU CAN MAKE ANY TREE BOW DOWN!!!!! SUPER PRO KILLER SAW!!!!!......:dizzy::dizzy:

sawinredneck

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Seeing how this has gone astray anyway, my .02.

I always recomend a saw one size bigger than what you know you need. That elminates the instance when you get something just outside of the paramaters. Like the once in a great while 25" Oak, or the 30" Pine.
The 361 gives the option of being able to run up to a 28" bar (NOT optimal) in a few instances.
The 260 will run a 20" but not happily, and yes you can drop a 20" tree with an 8" bar if you need to, but there are times where reaching across the whole tree at once has MAJOR safty advantages! And I don't care for the 260 myself anyway.
The 270 seems alright, never run a 280 so I don't know how it holds up with a 20".
The 290-310-390 series is an option, but they all weigh the same, so buy the 390 for the weight, then you are right at the price with the 361 and may regret not just going ahead and getting the 361 like I have done.

The OP asked for Stihl, I see no reason why we can't respect that.

Wishie22

Wishie22

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks for all the advice, I think I'm going to go with the MS 260.

The MS 260 is a good choice and wish you the best of luck with it.

I have two ms 026 and have been able to get allot of wood cut up with them. I will only run 16" bars on them, seems to fit just right for me. You may want to consider 3/8 over the .325, just gets the jobs done faster with less sharpening.

Happy cutting.

What were you cutting with before?

HuskyPete

HuskyPete

ArboristSite Member
Thanks for all the advice, I think I'm going to go with the MS 260.

If you only have one saw now be ready to add to your collection because that 260 will seem pretty small when you tackle larger trees. I would much rather put up with a small weight penalty with a 361 or the much superior 372 than constantly overwork the small saw or wish I had a larger one. You would be better advised to go with the 346 - 372 combo and you would be set. I switched to the big dogs {HUSKYS} and haven't looked back. Superior in every way.

Rickytree

Rickytree

Addicted to ArboristSite
If you only have one saw now be ready to add to your collection because that 260 will seem pretty small when you tackle larger trees. I would much rather put up with a small weight penalty with a 361 or the much superior 372 than constantly overwork the small saw or wish I had a larger one. You would be better advised to go with the 346 - 372 combo and you would be set. I switched to the big dogs {HUSKYS} and haven't looked back. Superior in every way.

:agree2: I love my huskies and would never trade them for any other saw. What do the loggers usually use? Husky! Why? Because they know!

2000ssm6

2000ssm6

Stihl User
A 260 is fine for 16", but for 20" you need to step up to a 60-70cc saw like a 361 or 441/460. What you will find is that you need 2 saws, get a 260 and 441/460. The 260 is good for the small stuff and the 441/460 is good for up to 32".:clap: The 361 is nice but it isn't going to fill that gap.

Rickytree

Rickytree

Addicted to ArboristSite

Aww...let him go! Know some people never learn and others are just starting to learn.... He'll figure it out...someday...maybe....hopefully!! Bye the way buying a new saw is on the low side of spending the cash... I have alot of money invested in just cutting and climbing equipment!

computeruser

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I think that the 260 is not really a saw I'd want to spend a lot of time running in 20" hardwood. But it'll work, and if the vast majority of one's cutting is in smaller stuff - limbs, small trees, off-the-ground cutting - then it might be a good compromise.

I'd personally go with a 361 if I were going to only have one saw for groundwork and another top-handle for work in the trees, and didn't anticipate being into anything bigger than 20".

nmurph

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
I am a certified arborist from NH and I have been taking on more and more tree work. I am looking to buy a new chainsaw and need some advice in picking one out. I know it is going to be a costly purchase and want to get the right saw the first time. I will need a saw that can fell, buck and limb oaks, maples and pines. I will be felling trees that are no larger then 20”. The saw will see use about three times a week for extended periods of time. I know the new saw is going to be a Stihl, I am just having a hard time picking out the right model to suit my needs. I went to my local dealer and he suggested MS 270 or 290. I didn’t know if these were solid enough for what I will be doing. I was leaning more towards the MS 260 pro. Any suggestions, advice or comments are welcome. Thanks for reading.

well, if you are willing to tote a 290/310/390 why not get a Dolmar 7900. same weight.......way more nads.........

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
i think hell do good with the 260.

if he was to get the 361 it would just cost more and be basicaly small in alot of wood specialy when doing tree removal work.

he now can ad 70cc or larger saw and not have wasted money on the 60cc that would see little use ounce a bigger saw is aquired