Pics of Fridays job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All my blocks have bushings. I have to admit that I've never taken any of them apart.-Now that you've mentioned it I'll have to do so. I have no experience with Petzl pulleys. I still have my old CMI Rescue pulley with aluminium sideplates. I bought it years ago and used it on a bunch of pine removals. There are a few nicks and dings. The eyes are slightly peened where it has been clipped into the biner and undergone impact loading from minor fall factors. Overall though it still is a sound piece of equipment.
-You were right,by the way, the block that got "pinched" was a stainless steel one.

pinched

One of my stainless CMI pulley's disapeared last week. I painted a bunch of my carbs and clevis's electric pink and they don't disapear but the shiney stuff must grow legs or something. I wanted shiney because it is easy to see but they may get painted some odd colour to make them not so atractive. Paint doesn't stick well to the stainless unless it is baked on.
It is like that new Blue Streak rope I'm using, had a lot of people ask for a piece of it but who ever asks for the old Manila? They see you with a new role of Blue and they ask for some. I give them a catalog with the price and they act like I should cut off a hundred feet so they can try it instead of buy it. Next time I'll get 1,200' role and sell it to them by the foot.

Bri, i like overpowering and lifting too, building a boom from the tree's structure, and powering it with overwhelming force, plotting the stob end as heavy, and notching on top. In betwixt lifting and lowering, i have found pretightening (and sometimes then selftightening) the line hitched at a specific point on the load for proper leveraged balance (yet positive 'nose' weight) to slide and move the load sideways very comfortably, spinning it around on a wide open, perfect hinge (while pusing all this as far as possible tweaking, i found that making a perfect hinge, with no crossed lines, at an angle it can function at is one of the most important things); then letting the green (heavier)end tip down into the open box. It truly takes the right hinge, anchor, and hitchpoint on load; but what a poewerful, graceful machine working right! Glass might be a more expensive structure to work over, but i think less forgiving than the floods of screen and light aluminum that we foster down here, not necessarily stuff for a junior climber don't ya know!:D

Bushings take more abuse but are less efficient than bearings, but that inefficiency is somewhat overcome in the larger sheaves, for the larger sheave (at rope tread) to 'axle' diameter, the more mechanical leverage the sheave has on it's host, making up for this inefficency.

Another good thing about pink paint is that my color blind guy sees it better in the grass than red/orange/green! i try to use bright, 'don't lose me colors', have been through the 'neons' (green, orange etc.); pink seems to be it. Besides, i laugh about JP giving Tom a hard time about it, thinking know macho male would take, 'con-fuse' pink as there own (hell, that don't even work with lighters!).

i like having gear that i am familiar not only with it's use, but history; feeling that both present a safety factor, that goes for metals and synthetics!!

Beddes slamdunking

Found this cool pic of our German buddy maxing out his line on the Baumkletterteam website.
climb.jpg

The pulley axle bushing smokes, the rope sheath scorches, the bark gets burnt off the tree, why get hot about it? Its not OUR gear!

i really don't think that those lil' CMI rescue pulleys are made for/best for such slamming forces; perhaps there raiting is more towards lifting and guiding weights. Person-ally i have bent their cheek plates etc. in learning this.

While i don't go along with putting pulleys on every upper support (in fact beleive high anchor friction for reduced anchor load, and reducing the amount of stretchable line for most things in overhead support) and see rope as a wearable resource, i personally do not go with wearing it so much at once, and having it in its history file like that, if it is to be seriously used again.

But anywayyyyyyyyyy, why does the top line go up? And irregardless of why, i would think that having the running bowline under the stob, with a halfhitch on top to be more posititve.

The next arbo using said gear might have a problem after hardware and synthetics have been smoked (abused unnecessarily?), might have a problem with it. i work in stages of forgiveness, a bale of hay is more forging than dirt, which is more forgiving than grass, which is more forgiving than cement, which is more forgiving than a roof, which is more forgiving than a gutter etc. With similar views towards gear and support anchors, in looking for the widest reasonable span of forgiveness for the most safe, positive action; i must ask why push the limits of each so? Especially in gear that is reused; perhaps this is why municipalities etc. get more gear all of the time to absolutely rule this quanity out.

Nice saw holder!

i thank you for reassuring us once again how tough our gear is and just how wide the span of forgiveness is; but i think testing it's outer reaches should be saved for more towards a controlled lab experimeant, whereby more info was garnished at such a cost. Doesn't it make ya wonder, how that gear was used before you? As with the tilted triangle, i can't help but observe that you are interestingly enough working successfully on the opposite end of theoris as i; for you go harder where i try to softly usher! i think of it as not trying to be bigger than the giants and force them, but have been a lil'guy all my life so that has flowed into here.

Just my personal view. Peace.

Ken,
Looks like the rope that goes up is a different rope. Looks like he's rigging the top to another tree in order to cradle the log between two lowering points. Looks like a good solution if a high rigging point is available and there is no landing zone directly next to the base of the tree.

Yeah i kinda figured that was what the line was for(steering and/or support)!! And if it is to be loaded in that way if the pull going up (rather than going down locking into the positive mechanical stop of the stob; to flex the hinge harder and bend with more hinge holding through the arc of delivery to pulley under load on spar); then for sure i would want the more positive 1/2 hitch running bowline (especially on overhead suspensions)for i really believe in 1 choking ring for temporary hold, 2-3 rings(slings and marling lacings)for rigging, 4 for lifeline apps (friction hitches), as observed, distilled common denominators of success and safety.

If the line coming from the top is to lower, why not try it below the stub? Bet you get really tired of this armchair quarter backing. Looks good. Is that a beech? Aka-auf Deutsch "Buche"

I saw the load transfer line too.

I'm more curiouse as to why he is sans-shirt in promotional fotos??? If this was any other company/climber beside Strasser I think it people would be hooting.

Here is thier image library. If you want to see more, go to th address line and delete the "big" from the URL.

http://www.baumkletterteam.com/images/photos/big/

Back