Picture frames

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookerdog

The New Champ
Reaction score
I am making a couple of frames out of some wood I mill. The fames are 3/4 inch. To make the grove were the glass sets in I was going to use a rabbeting router bit. Anyone done this and used anything diff.

If you're slicing up long pieces before running it through a molder or pattern router bit, it could be done just with a tablesaw if you trust your fingers that close to the blade, and use a pushblock. Just set the blade to the depth required & make two passes. It doesn't really matter whether it looks perfect if its on the backside of the frame. You can't see saw marks. If you've got the rabbeting bit, go for it. Otherwise, save the bits.

I agree, use the tablesaw with the pushblock. Keep the piece tight to the fence and you should get real good results. Without a router table the router can sometimes be tricky and dangerous.

I agree, I am a woodworker an have made many frames.
The tablesaw will produce better results than a router.

Cut the rabbitt in the stock "BEFORE" you cut them to length.

If you insist on using the router you should make many small passes.
You should not try to hog out the entire rabbitt in one pass.

gumneck said:
Stacked dado blades is the way to go.
I also usually use my dado blades, one pass and it's done, nice and clean. Also have done on my tablesaw as others here. Yes, pushstick a must. Also helps to use a featherboard to keep the stock pushed nice and tight to the fence as you push it past the blade. Thinner hardwood sometimes wanders away from the fence a bit if you hit a knot or hard spot in the wood. A router bit in a router supported by a router table will work, but the whole thing is just a little easier in my opinion on the tablesaw.

I agree

gumneck said:
Stacked dado blades is the way to go.

I always use my dado blade as well. It just does such a nice job versus the router. Before I had a dado blade I would do two passes on the table saw as it is faster then using the router.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back