Pictures of Indoor Wood Furnaces

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all. am really interested in indoor wood furnaces and wood like to see pictures of yours. Pictures of it when it is in use too (door open if possible). And just some general info. on how you like, burn time, how much wood per load, etc. Thanks!

I guess I'll start. I own a firechief model 500. This is my second year of burning with this unit. I built a new home last fall and my wife pissed and moaned about having a regular wood stove in the living room. She didnt want the mess. I've had two previous wood stoves in my 2 previous homes. One had a wood stove in the basement family room. This was 20 years ago and my first stove. The house had electric heat back-up. I never wanted to use the electric heat so I always used the woodstove to heat the whole house. I learned back then how hard it was to move heat from the basement to entire upstairs. My second home was a mobile home I moved on to my present location. I purchased a bare, piece of property with 45 acres of oak and ash trees. I spent all my $$ on the property and builing a 1/3 mile long driveway, well, septic, electricity run 2500 feet underground, ETC. That I felt broke and didn't want to dive into debt. So I bought decent mobile home and put a wood stove in for heat. I had all of the wood I would ever need here, plus mobile homes aren't poster homes for insulation.

So with all of this in mind, I was looking forward to finally having a new epa wood stove in the new home, upstairs. Oh boy, long burn times, secondary burns, less wood consumption. Than the wife started in. They do have a knack for having their way, dont they? And at the same time I knew I would be faced with the dilemma trying to get heat to circulate down to the basement this time, rather than from the basement, up. Along with the new home comes a new heating system with central air. I was having a problem with dishing out the expense of a new LP furnace that would most likely never get much use. I primairly burn wood for all of my heat, period. Although I would never build a new home with out a furnace. So I bought the Firechief from the local guy and had the HVAC dude hook it up.

I will say at first I hated the thing. I was use to lighting up a wood stove, "and back up, she's getting hot". A wood furnace compared to a wood stove is like comparing a funny car to a school bus. At least mine is. It takes some wood, and time for the thing to get chugging along. The biggest reason is when it starts to get hot the plenium fan kicks in and cools it down right away. And this process on ongoing for a while. There is a lot of air moving around the fire jacket by the plenium fan. So a hot fire is a must in order to keep the thing heating a home. If the fire isn't hot the plenium fan wont run. If you want the plenium fan to run, you need a good fire going. If you have a good fire going, the plenium fan will continue to run until the fan until the fire dies down. There really isnt any "just throw on a log or two" to take the chill off. Its all or nothing. But I will say the old school bus, throws off some heat once it finally decides too.

I have to give my new home much credit for being very well insulated. Because I light my wood furnace after supper and keep it going until it goes out sometime in the middle of the night. Usually the house is around 80 degrees by than, (regardless of outside temp). I wont light the furnace until the next day after supper again. The temperature inside usually drops off to around 68-70 by then. I do get solar gain to aid during the day. So I never have to run the thing 24/7. And this is north country (mn). On occasion I will light-up sooner, but not often. Overall, I did get used to school bus and the wife is happy not to have the mess upstairs. But every once in while I think just how easily I could heat the upstairs with a small wood stove. With out the basement being finished, I'm the only one who spends much time down here so if it were a bit chilly down here, who cares.

Must go for now, I can send pics if you wish but I/m in a hurry, big date tonite.

I started a similar thread about two weeks ago. I know there are pictures there from a couple of members. Just look under my user name.

Matt

Latest posts

Back