pin oak trimming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no tree to big

no tree to big

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I have a big pin oak in my front yard I don't think it has ever been pruned... this year there is a lot of dead wood in it that needs to be taken out (not a health thing just some branches on the interior of the canopy that couldn't hack it) they are threatening to cars in the driveway and I don't want to wake up to a branch through my windshield... my question is is it safe to at least dead wood the tree now? I know it is best to prune in the winter but that time has passed.

no tree to big

no tree to big

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I can wait to do the majority of the trimming till late summer or even push it off until winter but there are a few good sized branches that need to come off now, I park my camaro in the "drop zone" when I'm driving it on a more regular basis.

should I make cuts like I would on a prune or should I leave a little stub until I do the full prune when its safe. the branches in question are still solid wood so I'm not concerned about decay entering the tree at this point. I'm just thinking of a way to make it safer for the tree.

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I guess I have not read/heard about cutting dead wood anywhere...but I can't imagine that cutting a completely dead branch and leaving a 12" stub is going to attract any bugs. The normal recommendation is to immediately treat the cuts with pruning paint (one of the only times that makes sense). If I thought something was going to fall in the next 2 months, I'd cut it with a long stub and spray the cut then take off the stub later in the year.

Latest posts