pine beetles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
erob914

erob914

ArboristSite Member
I have a pine tree that is about dead from pine beetles. The tree is about 15 feet tall and about 8" in diameter. I have read that it can be beneficial to cut down the tree and leave it in place. This would allow the pine beetles natural predators to move in. Is this true.
What can I use to prevent them from getting to my other pines. The closest one is about 80 feet away. Since durspan is gone what is the next best thing?

Stumper

Stumper

One Man Band
Unless their advice has changed in the last five years the U.S. Forest Service has advised that infested trees be disposed of by burning or chipping. If salvage of fire wood is desired they advise storing in the sun covered COMPLETELY by a tarp (the idea is to trap the beetles and get things hot enough to kill them [140 degrees] ) Spraying with Lindane was also reccommended. Very often the beetles have cycled and moved on before decline of the tree is noticed but if it were mine I would get rid of it asap.

erob914

erob914

ArboristSite Member
I thought lindane was no longer available. Along with durspan. What else can I use to spray other trees on my property? What are the first noticable signs of infestation other than the sap on the bark?

Frans

Frans

ArboristSite Operative
Pine Pitch Canker & Bark Beetles

Here in CA we have a gov. agency dedicated to pine problems the name is Pine Pitch Canker Task Force. they have a web site under that name I do not recall the exact site address but try your search using .org as well as .com. On the site is extensive info. on bark beetles as well as related problems.
Frans

Stumper

Stumper

One Man Band
Lindane is still available in some states but it is on the way out. The USFS reccomendation was to use Lindane on the salvage logs(sounds like healthy firewood!). I am not into pesticides much so someone else may be able to advise you better in that regard. Generally speaking , pine beetles are successful in invadeing trees which are already under some sort of stress. If the tree is healthy and vigorous there is sufficient sap flow to 'pitch out' the beetle when it tries to invade. The best protection for your trees is to insure that the necessary nutrients are available and the tree is well watered.

Latest posts