Pine Cones

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blunt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've just spent the morning gathering a couple of trailer loads of pine cones. Any of you here burn them or mix them with some hardwood etc to burn in your home fires?

My opinion is they burn hot an strong and can really help a tired old fire leap into life :)

Worth up to $20 a sack depending on time of year and demand etc. Pretty much got an unlmited supply as long as I dont mind the time racking them up and bagging em. Actually ... I bloody well enjoy every minute of it!

And just go offered a whole lot more free pine to cut and cart away. Thats 2 huge lots in 2 days. All free!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Funny that you mention pine cones. I was just scrounging around for stuff to burn on the property and came across some huge softball-sized pine cones. As you stated, they are excellent 'fire-starters', or to get a smoldering fire burning good again.

I'll be collecting more and putting them in my kindling pile.

wow.

people buy anything.

There are many a woman out there that can or would make a decorative cone. I have seen many a painted one in my time and they make womanly decorations for Christmas.

Shipper

wow.

people buy anything.

Pine cones are known to be excellent fire starters ... they sell kindling in shrink wrap bags at the local store ... $20 and its the %^&$('est wood ... not even any good for burning really. The pine cones can be used to start the fire or added to an already burning fire to give a bit more roost :blob2:

I love the way they crackle when they burn :givebeer:

Funny that you mention pine cones. I was just scrounging around for stuff to burn on the property and came across some huge softball-sized pine cones. As you stated, they are excellent 'fire-starters', or to get a smoldering fire burning good again.

I'll be collecting more and putting them in my kindling pile.

+1

:popcorn:

lol...so, i went out and was going to grab a few to see how they worked since i have several pine trees in the yard...but, the damn things were all wet so i said the hell with it.

maybe tomorrow i'll grab a few and dry them out and try them.

I always use Dry pinecones for firestarters also use whitebirch bark that kicks ass

a couple yrs back a friend of ours gave us a housewarming gift of wax covered pine cones. They were made w/ leftover candlewax (scented stuff).

Actually, they were kind of hard to start but once they did, burned pretty good. The theory was the wax would melt and help burn longer.

Google 'colored fire' and see what a cool thing they can be, different solutions, different colors, they make great x-mas gifts ta throw on the fire as well as ya can put the kids ta work (rubber gloves eh!), just a thought. If nothing else just burn em for fire starter.

:cheers:

Serge

be careful bringing pine cones into the house. I did one yr from a slash pine we'd trimmed. big cones, sharp points on the cone leaves, a couple of days in the warm house----spiders!

Latest posts

Back