Pine - speedline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reg I had been thinking about getting set up for a speed line and was wondering how would you go about speedlining the trunk wood? I have lots of rope, cmi pulley, loopie sling, one block, one eyed sling, and a micro pulley( if that could be used) also have the grcs. Should I get a small pulley with a swivel and a bunch of slings and clips? I also just work with one guy so having a haulback I think is a good idea

Ricky, the pine video highlighted relatively light branches conveyed out of a pretty sturdy tree. Assuming you can’t run the line down from an adjacent tree, then the set-up for working a spar would be similar, except the equipment would have to be more heavy-duty to deal with the extra fall-forces incurred....also, the control line would be be directly tied to the logs as in conventional blocking. The speed-line-pulley-sling is also attached to the log

Obviously you need to keep the log-size to a minimal. The speed-line ought to be loose but to the side of the logs fall path, while the control-line arrests the log over some distance, same as in conventional blocking. After the log is brought to a halt, the speed-line is tensioned to raise the load above the obstacles you’re trying to clear. The control line is then gradually released so the log is conveyed down to the landing.

While Speed-lines can be a great labour saving technique, they can also be a momentous gear-intensive waste of time, where little or no advantage is gained by their application. You need height, a strong rigging-point and the need to convey a load considerably further than what could otherwise be achieved with a pull line….otherwise it’s probably not worth messing with! Thanks

WOW!! That's alot of pic's. I'm kickin myself because I should keep a cam with me all the time. Looks like you got a great crew and a crane op that know's his $hit. Don't like that line on the side of the boom though. Is the crane op scaling the logs or going by experience? That's a beautiful crane. What is it a 25ton? We always used steel line chokers and not chains. but that is the crane to have cuz you can get it into places. Especially if you got some pieces of half inch plate. What is the helmet cam your using and what would you suggest? appreciate it and cheers to you if I come to England I would like to grab a couple dozen pints and a couple hussies.:cheers:

WOW!! That's alot of pic's. I'm kickin myself because I should keep a cam with me all the time. Looks like you got a great crew and a crane op that know's his $hit. Don't like that line on the side of the boom though. Is the crane op scaling the logs or going by experience? That's a beautiful crane. What is it a 25ton? We always used steel line chokers and not chains. but that is the crane to have cuz you can get it into places. Especially if you got some pieces of half inch plate. What is the helmet cam your using and what would you suggest? appreciate it and cheers to you if I come to England I would like to grab a couple dozen pints and a couple hussies.:cheers:

Are you talking about the photo album? If so, then I also spent years neglecting to use a camera, but have started doing more over the last couple.

The crews are not mine, they are invariably from different companies….I’m a freelance climber you see!

The line on the side of the boom gives the operator a reading of how much weight he is lifting. Before we start a job I have the operator reach out and around as far as will be needed over the tree, he then tells me how much weight he will be able to lift at those given points. From there on its up to me to decide how big-a lift we’ll get away with each time, although these decisions are usually influenced more by how easy the limbs are for me to balance and stay out of harms way.

The cranes on those pictures range from 25-50 ton.

I hope to move to BC Canada before the end of the year, so more chance those couple of dozen pints will be consumed over your way. I cant get the hussies like I used to either!

Reg, you must really like the feel of the tree/climbing line in his hands, I have never seen you wear gloves in any of you vids.. Wish I could be more like that, my hands are sore if I dont wear them especially in the Winter..

Enjoyed the video as always, keep them coming...........

Reg, you must really like the feel of the tree/climbing line in his hands, I have never seen you wear gloves in any of you vids.. Wish I could be more like that, my hands are sore if I dont wear them especially in the Winter..

Enjoyed the video as always, keep them coming...........

I do wear gloves, especially when either sawing on the ground or perhaps if I have to haul myself a long way up a rope. Its just hard to find a pair that doesn't get dragged into the friction hitch.....I also hate tying/untying rigging-knots with gloves on. Thanks

Im not one that climbs trees but props to you that do climb them.
i'd get the willies when the top or branch falls off the tree and the whole tree started shaking. Good Work!:clap::clap::clap:

Reg, I'm sure your guy below was using a rigging device with a tensioner on this tree, right? If I don't have any sort of tensioner in the rigging at the base of the tree, what would you suggest to use as one to keep the rope tightened enough? Is speed lining even possible without a tensioner at the base?

The thing is I'd by a $1,000+ rigging with tensioner, but that's just what I would do. It's not what I can do, so I'm looking for a more inexpensive way to manage a speed line properly.

Reg, I'm sure your guy below was using a rigging device with a tensioner on this tree, right? If I don't have any sort of tensioner in the rigging at the base of the tree, what would you suggest to use as one to keep the rope tightened enough? Is speed lining even possible without a tensioner at the base?

The thing is I'd by a $1,000+ rigging with tensioner, but that's just what I would do. It's not what I can do, so I'm looking for a more inexpensive way to manage a speed line properly.

A fiddle-block, whether purchased as a package or devised yourself, work’s fine for applying any necessary line-tension. How much tension depends on how far you want to run the loads’….obviously the distance between your ground-anchor (landing) and the tree determine your limitations….furthermore, whether your ground anchor is elevated. Consider also that the further out the ground anchor – the more force is applied to the tree, so regulate your loads accordingly. Speed-lines can be very effective, but can also be a waste of time….without a proportionally high rigging point they are more often the latter. Good luck.

A fiddle-block, whether purchased as a package or devised yourself, work’s fine for applying any necessary line-tension. How much tension depends on how far you want to run the loads’….obviously the distance between your ground-anchor (landing) and the tree determine your limitations….furthermore, whether your ground anchor is elevated. Consider also that the further out the ground anchor – the more force is applied to the tree, so regulate your loads accordingly. Speed-lines can be very effective, but can also be a waste of time….without a proportionally high rigging point they are more often the latter. Good luck.

The fiddle blocks work fine because there is a 4:1 advantage to the one pulling it. I see. Thanks for the advice.

Nice video Reg. Reminds me why I don't work wherever it is cold enough to snow!

About 9.05 you release a block with one branch attached to the side. It appears to become entangled close to the ground but that may well be illusion. Was there a reason why you didn't remove the limb prior to speedlining the block? I ask because having a branch flip over a speedline is a right royal pain and something I try to avoid.

Nice video Reg. Reminds me why I don't work wherever it is cold enough to snow!

About 9.05 you release a block with one branch attached to the side. It appears to become entangled close to the ground but that may well be illusion. Was there a reason why you didn't remove the limb prior to speedlining the block? I ask because having a branch flip over a speedline is a right royal pain and something I try to avoid.

It only stopped because Andrew put the brakes on. You're right though, crossing lines should be avoided.

Back