Pine tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trouble

Reaction score
My question for you experts is about pine trees. I live near Phoenix Arizona and there is a mature, beautiful pine tree that a small group wants to cut down. This tree is in the community I live and is at least 20 years old. Full grown and healthy tree not to mention beautiful.

The reason given for the request to cut this tree down is it "drips sap on our table". I say move the table.

But I guess my real question is this: Is there a specific season that a pine tree "drips sap"? Is there a difference between "sap" and "pitch".

But the most important is, what time of year will a pine tree in Arizona drip sap?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Pine trees sometimes drip sap from pruning wounds or broken stubs. This MAY be an indication of pitch canker disease. The terms pitch and sap are often used interchangeably to refer to the sticky substance that exudes from pine trees. I would get some opinions from local arborists as to the condition and health of this tree. In the meantime, move the table.

As brett states it could be a pest problem wether disease, insect or bird. It could also be a tree that exudes pitch from buds and cones, this is not uncomon.

I agree with you, move the table. Might need a vote of all of the assoc. though.

Thank all of you for your answers. I do not believe the tree is sick but then again I am not the doctor.

Moving here to Arizona from Lake Tahoe I suppose you would understand why I care so much about trees, all trees and most of these Snowbirds don't want anything that might drop a leave or dirty the ground.

I keep telling them Mother Nature is a terrible housekeeper but she knows better than we.

We have started an email campaign to hopefully save the tree.

Wish us luck......I am going to check with some local arborists.

Latest posts

Back