Pipe on a work saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgerloff92

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So as I anticipate the arrival of my 3120 and the fact that I'm going to send both it and my 395 to Mastermind, I wonder if having a pipe Laying around with an interchangeable adapter piece would not be a bad idea. Something like a bike pipe that you can slide different mufflers on the rear end of the bike, but on the front side so I can't mount it to any of my bigger saws. But I'm looking at it and the more I think about it I know these saws won't benefit as much as a saw built for it with high exhaust durations. But would it be enough gain to be worth it for a little fun

T-Bone

You don't have to have high port durations to make a pipe work, and you will most definately see gains with a properly designed pipe whether you are running a stock cylinder, a work saw ported cylinder or a race ported cylinder. The only real difference with less port duration is pipe design is a bit more critical is you have a shorter time area over which to time the pipe pulses and hence the have an effective pipe you'll likely have one designed for a narrow power band. I guess a better way to put that is with less port duration you can either have a pipe that will produce less power over a wider power band, or more poewr over a narrower power band.

Not a big handicap for a saw, but the user must realize that he can't force feed the saw as it'll fall off the pipe as it were.

Back