Piston Stops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotax Robert

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When stuffing a starter rope in the piston chamber to stop rotation to remove a drive sprocket, how does one get the rope back out ??? hmmmmmmmmm. maybe I should have made a poll out of this thread.

Franks Planks ask me this ? last night

Aint (Aint is word in Washington) exhaust ports usually big enough to handle at least 2 or 3 feet of stater rope ???

ps: more pics of V8 comming soon.....BIN-WELDIN and his brother
STIHL-WELDIN on the pipes

I usually use an impact wrench unless forced to do the rope method, then I tie a couple of knots and stuff them in the hole,
leaving the rest of the rope hang out. I stuff the knots in the
spark plug hole.
Fish

Hi There, Robert! I thought I told you to stuff your bootlaces in the sparkplug hole!
It reminds me of the time in the woods when I broke a sprocket and stuffed my shirt tales into the cylinder to remove the clutch. It works, trust me.
Nowadays I just use these tools, cause ya aint apposed ta use yur shirt tale.
John

Thanks John, how do you apply it to the saw? Is it useful, or do you find it somewhat unnecessary? I have a stop like the top[ one shown but mine appears to be made of nylon or another similar plastic. Sometimes I swear I can feel that stop compressing. It was also made by Stihl, about mid seventies. Russ

You have to sneak up on it while it is not looking, then apply it.
I have both of those tools and they work well, but just wanted
to say, don't use an impact with either one or you may damage
your piston. As a matter of fact, using an impact is risky any way,
but it is my preferred method. The rope is safe though.
Fish

The impact wrench method is the way the Homelite owner's manual tells you to remove the clutch from some of their saws. Most shop manuals for other engine-powered machines say the same thing for bolts/nuts on the crank.

I hadn't seen either of those piston stops before today. Wouldn't that upper metal one tend to mar your piston if you put enough force on the offending clutch?

if using the impact method make sure you know if it is a right hand or left hand fastener so that you do not over tighten it and break the end of the crank off. if you do that you might as well enter the saw in the saw chucking contest.

Hi There, the metal piston stop is best used without the impact wrench applied, rather, use a box wrench. This way, there is no chance of damage. The plastic piston stops are only for vertical plugs or the stop breaks off and you have to remove the cyl. to get it out as I once did on a Husky.
John

Stihltech,
Been there with the flywheel key thing.
The Saw is working out for the chainsaw throwing contest as we speak.I'm glad I didnt learn my lesson with one of my orange ones!!
Mike.

nuts

I wrap a knot in a piece of aluminium wire and slide it through the spark plug hole. Oh, leave a tail on the wire so you can pull it out after you get the nut off then put it back in to get the nut back on. It flattens the knot a bit but the wire is soft enough not to scratch the piston. If you don't leave a tail on you have to remove the muffler to get the knot of wire out that larger opening. Have fun.

Geoforce. I realize the knot on the aluminum wire is probably not hard enoug to damage the piston or jug, but the problem is that it is not large enough. If sufficient material is stuffed in like rope so that the piston is a lot further down in the cylinder, The crank is nearer 90 degrees and less force is exerted on the piston to get the same holding power. Near to TDC the toggling effect exerts much more force.

Frank

Back