Planting Near a Well

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtate

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Need some more advice . . .

How close is safe to plant trees near a well, or does it not matter at all?
Also, how close together can I plant two Maples (Oct. Glory) to provide the most shade? Do I go by the spread of the tree, supposedly 30 ft or so, or can I go closer to maximize shade benefit?
Thanks again to all who have helped! :)

I usually recommend planting at least fifteen feet from any hardscape structure, including wells. You can plant these trees closer together than 30 feet, but their mature size, especially their shape, may be affected by being so close together. This is normally not a problem, unless one of them must be removed for some reason. Then the remaining tree will have an asymmetrical shape.

2 red maples 15 feet on center will not be much of a problem, if you have a soil that is neutral to acid. Higher pH gives yellow leaves.

The biggest thing to concider is the symitry of the landscape overall, no matter where you plant them, it will be years before you get the shade you are looking for.

Studies have shown that smaller trees will recover faster and over take larger trees, so the immidiate gratification of a larger tree is a false economy compared to the savings in getting a 1-1.5 inch bare root tree.

The problem with proximity to the well casing would be having butress and heavy anchor roots near it. Also future replacement of control wires can sever heavy roots.

Latest posts

Back