Plastic Repair- Air Filter Cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I should have taken more pictures as I went along, but I picked up an eBay 038 that had ridden around in a skidder and gotten beat up a bit. I threw the AF cover in the carb cleaner, and took some JB PlasticWeld, some wide plastic tape, and a bit of time, to produce this so far:

The plan is to sand and clean up the outside and paint it with some orange paint-recommended in another thread, a rattle can I got a few weeks ago. I will leave the inside so not to give impression of trying to fake anyone out, adn to let the excess serve as a gusset. I like how the flow left smooth surfaces. I was concerned the epoxy might stick to the tape, but it came right off.

That af cover is available for under $10, delivered. :cool:
I know, I got one for 15 coming. I just wanted to show what can be done by way of restoration. I have several of these saws, and this cover is the only one that will actiually attach to this saw. One shortcoming of this saw is the AF cover attachment. I like the early 028 setup better, the one with threads instead of the little slot clip.

See if you can get a mosquito in the epoxy, so that in a couple hundred million years someone might try to clone it.......:surprised3:

That is an excellent idea! Maybe some little sawtooth beetle or something.

Leave it like it is. Classic 038 look! Faded, battered and bruised but keeps putting rounds in the pile.
Yes, that seems the proper spirit. Easier to check the air filter this way, too.

Back