Played Rubik's Cube in the shop today, Stuff will be lost for months

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
I had to get access to my hoist as our Astro van has been dead for over three months and we need it. It took me a number of attempts to diagnose it but finally tracked it down to the ECM fuse blowing due to a fuel pump circuit issue. Needing to drop the 27 gallon fuel tank I had to get the van in the air and that required a lot of rearranging in the shop to access the hoist. I had to move a dozen saws and parts from probably 30 others. I'm concerned that it may be months before some of the items surface again.

On a brighter note, the van is back in service. I found the bow bars I promised Guido and I discovered a few items I lost track of. Now that I've cleared the path, I need to do a brake job on two other vehicles...

I had to get access to my hoist as our Astro van has been dead for over three months and we need it. It took me a number of attempts to diagnose it but finally tracked it down to the ECM fuse blowing due to a fuel pump circuit issue. Needing to drop the 27 gallon fuel tank I had to get the van in the air and that required a lot of rearranging in the shop to access the hoist. I had to move a dozen saws and parts from probably 30 others. I'm concerned that it may be months before some of the items surface again.

On a brighter note, the van is back in service. I found the bow bars I promised Guido and I discovered a few items I lost track of. Now that I've cleared the path, I need to do a brake job on two other vehicles...
Any other things on that circuit that could pop it?

Any other things on that circuit that could pop it?

I suppose. This was a long convoluted process because the scanner wouldn't communicate with the computer. I eventually narrowed it down to the fuel pump but it could have been the wiring going to the pump. I was having problems with the gauge anyway so I decided to just go ahead and change the pump assembly (which includes the fuel gauge sending unit)

I disconnected the wires to the pump once I got the tank lowered some and checked to see if it would blow the fuse. It didn't so I knew it was the pump itself drawing too many amps. Put the new one in and all is well.

Installing the new pump was a challenge as I had to rewire one of the plugs since it was a different design. They supplied the new plug but it still took additional time to remove the old plug and make 4 wire connections.

Then of course I had to reinstall the doghouse and other van interior parts that had been disassembled during the troubleshooting process.
Glad to have it back online.

I suppose. This was a long convoluted process because the scanner wouldn't communicate with the computer. I eventually narrowed it down to the fuel pump but it could have been the wiring going to the pump. I was having problems with the gauge anyway so I decided to just go ahead and change the pump assembly (which includes the fuel gauge sending unit)

I disconnected the wires to the pump once I got the tank lowered some and checked to see if it would blow the fuse. It didn't so I knew it was the pump itself drawing too many amps. Put the new one in and all is well.

Installing the new pump was a challenge as I had to rewire one of the plugs since it was a different design. They supplied the new plug but it still took additional time to remove the old plug and make 4 wire connections.

Then of course I had to reinstall the doghouse and other van interior parts that had been disassembled during the troubleshooting process.
Glad to have it back online.
Im am new to using a code reader and I was trying to find a code it said I had a misfire on number 1 cyl so I thought switch the coil with say 3 so I did still misfired so I put the scanner back on it said 1 was still misfiring so I put a new plug in still misfiring so I pulled the manifold and put a new injector in number 1 cyl ,guess what after all this it was still misfiring on one or so the code reader said. So after doing away with the code reader I figured out 3 was misfiring now that I switched the coil that was bad from 1 . Don't these damn things work right away how long do I have to wait for the right info from the code reader?

Well, scanners and code readers are a tool and need to be utilized in conjunction with some mechanical aptitude. I had to do this one the hard way since the fuse would blow and take the computer offline. So no codes for guidance of where to look.

Im am new to using a code reader and I was trying to find a code it said I had a misfire on number 1 cyl so I thought switch the coil with say 3 so I did still misfired so I put the scanner back on it said 1 was still misfiring so I put a new plug in still misfiring so I pulled the manifold and put a new injector in number 1 cyl ,guess what after all this it was still misfiring on one or so the code reader said. So after doing away with the code reader I figured out 3 was misfiring now that I switched the coil that was bad from 1 . Don't these damn things work right away how long do I have to wait for the right info from the code reader?

After checking the codes each time and coming back to cylinder 1. Did you happen to clear the codes and reset the ecm. It could have been just showing old codes. Another good way to check for misfires is to pull the wires off one at a time while the engine is under load. Just don't get hit with the spark. It tends to hurt!

After checking the codes each time and coming back to cylinder 1. Did you happen to clear the codes and reset the ecm. It could have been just showing old codes. Another good way to check for misfires is to pull the wires off one at a time while the engine is under load. Just don't get hit with the spark. It tends to hurt!
Well according to my helper they were cleared its his reader. I am wondering how much time is needed to do this can the reader work that fast or could it take 20 min ?

The scanners work within seconds. There is no time lag. Sometimes codes will clear themselves depending if they're a hard code or not. A misfire code can be set again immediately after it's cleared or maybe it just does it under load and may not show up right away. Usually the computer is accurate as far as which cylinder is having an issue. A bad vacuum leak can cause a misfire in addition to fuel and ignition issues.

That new style plug is included because of the connection issues with the original plug. Fuel sending unit problems are common to GM. They even make a repair piece for the fingers on the sending unit. $29

Back