Played with my wood today...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Wright

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi folks.

Was up early with the sun and got out there as soon as it was light. I was determined to get those rounds loaded to the yard. It's been laying out there since July and the bugs were starting to chew on it. There's mold on the ends of some rounds. Working every other weekend doesn't leave much time for home projects. I worked Saturday but was off today for a change.

Started with a light jacket. The day warmed up and the jacket came off. But the weather was lovely with low humidity. I got it all carted to the yard and stacked for splitting later.

It looks like a lot of wood in the photos but it's really just one cord. Two trees in all. Got it done in about 4 hours, took six cartloads to move it. What you see in the cart is the last load, mostly smaller stuff. Broke out the saw to cut up a dead limb that had fallen across a trail last week. Started at the stump ends and worked my way along to the tops. Figured I'd get the heaviest part done first. They were laying parallel, about 15 feet apart. Easy peasy. Drive the tractor between 'em and load 'er up.

Last year, this job would have taken me a couple days to accomplish, at least. But I didn't have this big, heavy-duty cart and the nice, powerful tractor to work with last year. It's so much easier and faster now, the work doesn't beat me up like before. The cart will carry twice what the other one did. The Murray tractor pulls those big loads outta there like they're nothing. It never slips, doesn't get stuck, won't balk. Granted, there's no mud or standing water in the woods now. But even if there was, it would still be easier and faster than before.

I've got a couple good-sized maples and a red oak out there to fell next weekend if the weather cooperates. I was too tired to fuss with dropping trees today. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I like the tractor/cart setup. Looks like a nice piece of land you're on too. What kinda wood is that?

Thanks, my compadre. This load is sweetgum and black gum. I take one of each every year to supplement the oak and maple. It's always a bear to split but it parts a lot easier after it sets a few months to dry.

Latest posts

Back