Please Help! Dying Oak Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedro1

Reaction score
I moved in to a new home in northern california 3 years ago. When building the home, a signifant amount of grading was done around a large old oak tree. Each year, the tree has lost more and more of its leaves during the summer. This year, about half the canopy is already gone and its the beginning of august. It is extremely hot and dry here - it generally does not rain between May and November and average temps are near or over 100 every day. Is there anyting I can do to save this tree?

When you say a significant amount of grading was done can you be specific. Like was the area built up with soil, or scraped down?

The majority of tree roots reside in the upper layer of soil, probably within the top foot. Tree roots extend out well beyond the drip line of the canopy. It is these fine hairy tree roots that do a lot of the work, taking up water and nutrients. These fine roots require air as well as the water etc, building up or scraping down along with driving heavy machinery takes its toll on these roots ... consequently the tree suffers, no more resources going up the trunk to feed the leaves etc.

It can take trees many years to slowly decline and die. In essence, what the solution is, is to encourage new root growth as well as some TLC for the soil area around the tree. There is commercially available root hormones and stimulants you can try to treat the soil with, also watering and mulching will help. But by the sounds of it, it appears it may be getting a little late for the save.

The older and larger and more established the tree is the more likely decline and death. I wish you well, try to save, but it sounds too late to me. If possible, send some pics in.

Thanks for your help Ekka. It sounds like the prognosis is not good. Ive attached a few photos for your review. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. That tree gives us a ton of shade (important with our extremely hot sunny summers) and is a focal point in the yard.

David

For an abused oak it doesn't look that bad. Aerate the soil under the dripline, check the mulch depth to see that it isn't over 4". Water deep biweekly unless your water is high in the wrong minerals. Check the site below for details.

Yeah, doesn't look as bad as it sounds, Treeseer's right on, looks pretty good from what I normally see, you know, no mulch and lawn competing with the tree.

If you do any pruning ... only deadwooding and don't let anyone climb it with spurs! Some organic fertilizer will help too. It's all in that link Treeseer gave.

Latest posts

Back