Please Help Me Save The Last One

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex In Illinois

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had 3 beautiful pine trees and over 20 years lost 2 to whatever this is. What can I do to prevent it from happening to the last one? I'm 60 miles south of Chicago.
Tree Rot.JPG Tree Rot 2.JPG

No, that's the second one, the last one is perfectly intact. I understand the confusion, I didn't present that very well.

Look like pitch canker or Fusiform Rust but if I had to guess I would say pitch canker or both. When we would do prescribe burns at night a forest infected with pitch canker would look like hundreds of candles burning after the fire went through. If pitch canker the tree sometimes will try to heal itself but will leave a scar which will rot out, as seen in your case.

The wound extends to within 4' of the top. last pic shows the last healthy tree in t he group.

Attachments

• Tree1.JPG
    Tree1.JPG
    597.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Tree2.JPG
    Tree2.JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Tree3.JPG
    Tree3.JPG
    420.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Tree4.JPG
    Tree4.JPG
    488.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Tree5.JPG
    Tree5.JPG
    568.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Trees.JPG
    Trees.JPG
    467.6 KB · Views: 2
Looks like either a spruce or fir, a close up of the needles would help. Also a wider angle shot of the entire tree, from a slightly different angle. From these pics, looks like an old lightning strike. Pic #5, although grainy, looks like the strike blew out the top and then a branch reestablished as the new leader. You say you've known these trees for 20 years though? Just looking at the encapsulation I wouldn't put the strike as that old, probably more like 7-8 years.

Your Norway spruce needs to be removed, it's a hazard that cannot be mitigated. Good call on old lighting strike, I agree. Just a side note, see the callous tissue at the bottom of the wound. Unusual yes, most lighting hits run down into the roots not jump out at ground level.

I don't think it's been like that for 20 years, don't really know when it started, it's in a fence line with the damage facing away from my side so I didn't see for a long time. I've already scheduled removal before it falls on my house. Good call on the possible lightning strike.

Attachments

• Tree6.JPG
    Tree6.JPG
    582.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Tree7.JPG
    Tree7.JPG
    676.2 KB · Views: 2
Here's another one that took a direct hit several years ago but is still standing. It spit bark 40' away and my telephone junction box in the basement exploded. Is there anything I can do to this wound to delay more damage?

Attachments

• Big1.JPG
    Big1.JPG
    544.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Big2.JPG
    Big2.JPG
    659.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Big3.JPG
    Big3.JPG
    679.2 KB · Views: 2
Here's another one that took a direct hit several years ago but is still standing. It spit bark 40' away and my telephone junction box in the basement exploded. Is there anything I can do to this wound to delay more damage?
Unfortunately, not really. To be honest, might have them assess it while they are out for the other one. Only so much we can see from pics.

Unfortunately, not really. To be honest, might have them assess it while they are out for the other one. Only so much we can see from pics.

Had an arborist here a few years ago, said the same thing.
This is from the day of the strike on a different part of the tree.

Attachments

• Big4.jpg
    Big4.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 1
Date on original image is 2012.

Thanks everyone for all the help with the original question, this is one of the best forums I've ever used.
I guess rhe good news is it looks like barring another lightning strike your remaining spruce should be fine, it's not a canker or something that might spread.

Latest posts

Back