Please identify this cedar. Thanks!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Inquisitive

Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of cedars these are? We need to know to add and replace. We get different answers.

Attachments

• 20211006_112358.jpg
    20211006_112358.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211006_112441.jpg
    20211006_112441.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Does anyone know what kind of cedars these are? We need to know to add and replace. We get different answers.
Northern White Cedar, of which there are at least dozens of cultivars. Those look like the the wild cedars common in the woods here in northern New England. I have a hedge of volunteers much like that in front of my shop.

I do believe they need lots of water .
They'll tolerate very wet conditions, and will outcompete most native tree species around here in wet areas, but won't suffer in dry soils once established. Those around my shop are growing in well drained gravel backfill around the foundation.

Does anyone know if these could be grown from cuttings?

I'd be very surprised, but that might provide some identical replacements. I've seen junipers branch out and grow from branches that get layered with leaves & earth.

I'm sure that they can be grown from cutting.

Might take a misting system though as most conifers do.

Leyland Cyprus is my guess. I dont think they produce seeds, but I think they can be propagated from cutting [when the mother tree is dormant IE late fall]. Take your non woody [green] cutting, strip off lower nodes and cut some skin off and dip in root hormone and toss in the cold frame or green house, or area they will get warmth and water...

Back