Plugs keep fowling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Shaffer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys new to this forum I recently bought a ms661 and have run about 10 tanks a fuel and I've only been running the pre mixed cans from stihl and lately after I go to use the saw the next day the saw will not start. Pull the plug and it's soaked before this issue happened it always started 2 pulls with choke on and 2 pulls without the choke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked the screen doesn't seem to be plugged I store the saw inside my garage and yea I bought it new what is the reset procedure is that something that would be in the owners manual because the guy at the store told me he had to order me a manual when I bought it

I would take it back to the dealer in a flash. Carb is leaking mix into the cylinder.Should be a quick and easy fix.Do you put the saw away hot or do you allow it to coll off?Reason I asked is if the saw is hot and the tank builds pressure from thermal expansion then your tank vent may be obstructed.

The saw isn't in a case or anything when I put it away I just set it on the work bench with the other saws but it usually cools down outside for awhile before going away

Just checked the screen doesn't seem to be plugged I store the saw inside my garage and yea I bought it new what is the reset procedure is that something that would be in the owners manual because the guy at the store told me he had to order me a manual when I bought it

http://en.stihl.ca/owners-manuals-safety-brochures.aspx?Search=STIHL+MS+661+C-M

As others have stated take the saw back to the dealer, above is the link for the manual.

I would take it back to the dealer in a flash. Carb is leaking mix into the cylinder.Should be a quick and easy fix.Do you put the saw away hot or do you allow it to coll off?Reason I asked is if the saw is hot and the tank builds pressure from thermal expansion then your tank vent may be obstructed.
The tank vent is a one-way valve and does not prevent the build up of pressure.

Brad, So what you are saying is that it is a check valve instead of a vent?A vent is just what it says, a vent.

The tank vent is a one-way valve and does not prevent the build up of pressure.

Brad, How are you doing?Hope you are getting better, Ken

So dealer said they don't see any issue. I don't understand because when I picked the saw up it wouldn't start and they put a new plug in it and boom it started. They are still saying there's no issue and that it might be part of the computer learning . I don't think that is Correct

Is it my understanding that you didn't get an owner's manual for it when you bought it? Do you still not have one?

If so, I'd be getting all over the dealer for one. Even if he has to get one shipped overnight to you. The owner's manual is an important part of the safety issue. Same as PPE as far as I'm concerned.

The manual will cover the micro-processor in the saw and how to reset it.

Whatever the issue is, I hope it gets resolved quickly for you. Best of luck!

So I finally found a solution to my problem a week ago and forgot to post here there is a fuel solenoid on the side of the new carbs and they have been having lots of issues from what the stihl tech support guy told me so I got a new one in and the saw runs perfect just wanted to share in case anyone runs into this issue

Latest posts

Back