Plunge Cut On A Set Back Tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GIZROID,
Grammar police here, you don't need to Capitalize Every Word!
Strap cut (dogtooth cut) is usually for a tree leaning IN the direction of fall, what people have said here reads very well, good advice all around.
I put over a 20' slightly leaning stump (after dismantling top) 3:1 pulley, face cut, then bore through hinge from front, fishtail to remove centre wood, then back cut bore in from side, walk backcut around placing wedges on the way around (saw bar less than diameter of tree) Combination of sledgehammer and groundie pulling, over it went, nice and easy.

bermie, he's not doing it manually, we've seen this before here.

try as i might, i can't duplicate it. though it would be fun for annoyance and such.

i'll try and search the last time we saw this...........

Great thread here guys, I have doing searches here the past two weeks and found the same info as here except for the fact of using a bull rope.
I have done this before and did not understand the force applyed.
Yesterday I was drinking coffee in the morning and watching this guy out my back window. using a tractor to push over oaks With his bucket as he cut them. seven in all. Believe he made $100.00 on the deal. Left stumps waist high and the whole mess to boot Says he has been logging all his life off and on of course.

free or expensive

That guy could have been a bargain at $14 apiece or an expensive blunder by making a bigger mess or wasting lumber.

$14 apiece to drop even a medium sized tree isn't bad.

Fallers are like putting in a foundation. You screw that up, everyone down the line pays.

I guess I was trying to point the safty factor here. or should I say lack of.
Using a tractor to direaction cut is unsafe. then doing this in residential areas is just insane. I say the guy was lucky.
Kind of like using a plunge cut on a 5 degree back angle being held together with a back strap, not using wedges. Yes you have a rope with some tension on. How would you know it is enough to hold the tree after you cut the back strap? I say you were lucky too.
Some techniques should be left in the woods.
Ok, Go ahead and attack me. It's my opinion and you know the old saying about opinions.

Bermie said:
What do you mean he's not doing it manually?

what i mean is, he is not capitalizing every word on purpose.

cord arrow said:
we've seen this before here.

this means, we've seen this happen before on this forum.

cord arrow said:
i'll try and search the last time we saw this...

this means, i'm still tryin' to find how the last guy remedied it, so i can help this dude out.

btw, i purposely use no upper case.

Latest posts

Back