)(*&*&*!!@#%Poison ivy 2009.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
Reaction score
Almost made it three months with nothing more than a smidge here and there.

Today, it got me.

Nuz and I dropped a Monster Walnut into a 1/2 acre patch of brambles this afternoon, and so after chow and some AS time, I realize I gotta jump in the Rain room cuz I ain't smellin' so "Fresh" and have an itch or two that might be the Damnable crud.

Soon as the Hot water hit the spots that were sorta itching...I knew.
Did the Baby oil scrub thing, folowed by a good scrub with Simple green, and then plain old Soap.

Got the cutting clothes/bath towels on the third wash.
Cutting gloves were trashed anyway and will go in the trash.

Heads up gang. It's spring, and the Evil Weed is out there waiting.
Don't let it get ya!

Stay safe!(And crud free!)
Dingeryote

I have found that I don't get it from the leaves, I have a high tolerance for it. But if I cut through the vines and get the juice on me I will get it. I like to wear long sleeves if I know beforehand that I got poison ivy in the tree but it just don't always work out that way. If you know your working/climbing in it try to wash your arms and hands off as soon as you get out of the tree or finish whatever task that is exposing you to it. I have found that if I wash my arms and hands as soon as I get out of the tree I very rarely am effected by it.

I have found that I don't get it from the leaves, I have a high tolerance for it. But if I cut through the vines and get the juice on me I will get it. I like to wear long sleeves if I know beforehand that I got poison ivy in the tree but it just don't always work out that way. If you know your working/climbing in it try to wash your arms and hands off as soon as you get out of the tree or finish whatever task that is exposing you to it. I have found that if I wash my arms and hands as soon as I get out of the tree I very rarely am effected by it.

Yup!!

This time of year it's all those itty bitty vines that are starting to juice up, and hiding in the brambles, and on the trees.

I always get it on the wrists and forearms as the sleeves slide up, and from there, it "Wanders".

I gotta feeling this one was hiding amoung the woodvine and wasn't obvious.

So much for decent sleep for a few days!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yep, Got the crap all over my hands and arms from a sweetgum tree i dropped monday. It had a huge vine on it. Got some on my back and neck. I done clawed the one spot on my hand untill it is a sore. Hope yours is not the bad kind. My wife gets big sores on her if she looks at it. i just break out in itchy blisters.

Was working with a tree guy recently on an unseasonably warm day, he's up trimming, and I was dropping dead trees and playing groundie, he yells down, " take some clothes off, you're red as a lobster, its too warm for all that stuff ".

Later on, when he's down and laying out more work to do, I tell him, " there's some vines on many of these trees, and they sure resemble poison ivy, and I don't want that on my skin".

His response, " poison ivy isn't a vine ". :jawdrop:

I keep a bottle of TEchnu cleaner in my trunk at all times. IT removes the oils and has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. Also, you can use it with or without water so it makes field cleanup all the better.

Dave

p.s. I never got it as a kid rooting around the family farm, but Good LORD do I get it now!!!!!!!

I swear I kept it on me somewhere on my body for over a year one time. I was cutting R.O.W at the time and we were close to the river, everything was covered in the crap. Some trees looked more like poison oak trees instead of whatever trees they were. I didn't have it that bad but I had it. I used to take Clorox and put it on after I had a scratching fit. I would wake up about 3:30 every morning in a scratching fit. I'd rather try and sand paper a Lion's ass than have the mess. I feel your pain!!!

Man, if it were only an itch for me. I get huge blisters, which keep growing and spreading until I get going on a heavy course of Cortisone. One time it got in my blood, I guess, and when I finished my two weeks of steroids it came back all over my body, back on steroids for another two weeks. I survive in PA by having an eagle eye and by patrolling my own property with a spray bottle. Professional forestry work is simply a closed career path to me in this part of the country; the evil is everywhere.

Jack

I got it last weekend, and got the shot yesterday. I told the doctor I will see him in a couple of weeks.

Got a shot last week for Poision Ivy. Wasn't to concerned about the couple spots on my arms, but when the family jewels started itching I raced to the doc! Can't be to careful.....:givebeer:

Was working with a tree guy recently on an unseasonably warm day, he's up trimming, and I was dropping dead trees and playing groundie, he yells down, " take some clothes off, you're red as a lobster, its too warm for all that stuff ".

Later on, when he's down and laying out more work to do, I tell him, " there's some vines on many of these trees, and they sure resemble poison ivy, and I don't want that on my skin".

His response, " poison ivy isn't a vine ". :jawdrop:

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

And he's a tree guy? LOL!! OMG!!

Give 'em time. Sooner or later that crap will edumacate him right proper, and no tuition required to figure out the crap when starved for light, will send a runner up a tree.

Just wow!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I keep a bottle of TEchnu cleaner in my trunk at all times. IT removes the oils and has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. Also, you can use it with or without water so it makes field cleanup all the better.

Dave

p.s. I never got it as a kid rooting around the family farm, but Good LORD do I get it now!!!!!!!

Dave,

I never got it as a kid either. I could rip the crap out of between bushes with my bare hands and not react.

Not anymore. I got into some really nasty Sumac on Camp Pendleton back in the day, and spent a week stuck to the Hospital sheets. Since then, It gets me good. Paybacks I guess!!! LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Well that sucks!!!

I haven't noticed any itching or blisters today so maybe I got away free :dizzy:

My eyes were a little puffy last night from getting that black walnut dust in 'em, but looks like I pulled the lucky card :blush:

Got a shot last week for Poision Ivy. Wasn't to concerned about the couple spots on my arms, but when the family jewels started itching I raced to the doc! Can't be to careful.....:givebeer:

Cortisone shot? If there's some other kind of shot I want to know about it.

Jack

Nope.

It will get ya sooner or later.

Just like allergies develop in folks soon after they hit thier 30's.

Getting old sucks!

BTW.
It's rainin'. Might have to wait and see on cuttin.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote.

Latest posts

Back