)(*&*&*!!@#%Poison ivy 2009.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The woods are great but I hate itchy weeds and biting bugs. Long sleeves, long pants, boots, gloves, year round for me. Sometimes I still get bit. The worst is chigger bites. Got it real bad once, I was ready to saw my legs off.

Have you tried CHIGAWAY? Comes in a green bottle. WAL MART has it here. Saved a lot of Scouts I know.

Hal

The Boy Scouts teach about washing before the oil bonds with the skin. Don't know if it would work but hand sanitizer might be a way to get the oil off before it has a chance to bond. Won't help with clothing but it might for direct contact with the skin.

Hal

Zanfel. Google it, so far I have had a thirty dollar tube of Zanfel stop cases of poionoak for two kids that I swore would have to go to the E-room. Aslo, Tecnu -Extreme works really well. These things even work after you've started to get a little bit of rash, jsut read the directions. Tecnu Extreme works on a much higher level than regular Tecnu. Bailey's sells the Tecnu Extreme, Forestry Suppliers sells the Zanfel, also some drug stores sell them.

I never got the stuff, I dont even know what it looks like. But everytime I go to take a leak I try to wash my hands first. My dad gets it just by looking at it and I recall him telling me he went to take a leak after touching the stuff, and the end results were miserable.

I never want to go through that.

I never got the stuff, I dont even know what it looks like. But everytime I go to take a leak I try to wash my hands first. My dad gets it just by looking at it and I recall him telling me he went to take a leak after touching the stuff, and the end results were miserable.

I never want to go through that.

Been there done that...I was out w/ a friend one night after putting his new soft top on his Jeep...Long story short, we only had one Jeep and got stuck...I walked down the road to meet my dad w/ my Jeep and sat on a stump waiting for him...The stump was covered w/ it...I got it on the small of my back and it ended up on my ass crack and taint...Not good...

I just got rid of it this week. Cut a couple Catalpa trees out of a waterway 'bout 3 weeks ago... It had some 1" diameter vines on it that had to be Poison...

Out all day did what the bears do in the forest and yep @$###^& got it on the BOYS:mad::mad::mad:

TecNU makes a decent oil remover and a cream that helps a little.

Makes for an uncomfortable week or so.

HOT Showers offer some relief too:cry:

I get it all the time. Just lucky I guess

Yup, I've been covered in the stuff too and I mean I had it everywhere! I used that Aveeno (sp?) stuff to bathe in but it didn't do very much to relieve the itching. I use bleach on PI and will sometimes use straight gas on the job site but that is out of the question where your dealing with the boys...

The first time I got it I hadnt realized I contacted it and after showering I realized that I had effectively moved the oils EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!

Technu saved me but, good Lord, I wouldnt wish poison ivy on the 'twig and berries' on anyone....

I get the stuff so bad and so easily I probably got it from posting to this forum.
The only thing that get rid of it after you have it is Rx blister pack of methylprednisolone. but if you know you have been exposed TecNu and Burts Bees Poison Ivy soap are great.

I get the stuff so bad and so easily I probably got it from posting to this forum.
The only thing that get rid of it after you have it is Rx blister pack of methylprednisolone. but if you know you have been exposed TecNu and Burts Bees Poison Ivy soap are great.

+1 on the Prednisolone, but those Medrol dose packs aren't ideal. They cost something like $30-40 and my doctor prefers that i take more pills than the dose pack comes with. Generic Pred is something like $0.05-0.10 a pill at the pharmacy if your doctor prescribes it bulk instead of in the cute package.

It is a steroid, but if I have to choose between taking 'roids for a week and being covered in oozing sores, I'll take the 'roids.

+1 on the Prednisolone, but those Medrol dose packs aren't ideal. They cost something like $30-40 and my doctor prefers that i take more pills than the dose pack comes with. Generic Pred is something like $0.05-0.10 a pill at the pharmacy if your doctor prescribes it bulk instead of in the cute package.

It is a steroid, but if I have to choose between taking 'roids for a week and being covered in oozing sores, I'll take the 'roids.

Yup!!

If this stuff keeps popping up in places it shouldn't, It will be all about the Prednisone and diprolamine cream.

Looks like I Mighta gotten the crud on the chaps, and then got my hands contaminated moving the chaps around in the truck after I got home.

Note to the wise.
Wash your hands BEFORE and after taking a leak.:hmm3grin2orange:
Just like if you were picking Habeneros, you WILL PAY if you don't.

I once was clearing PI outta the patch, while wearing rubber knee boots.
Ran to the outhouse to drop the kids off at the pool and didn't even think about it.
Cross contaminated the skivvies on the boot tops.
The Doc talked to me about a skin graft at one point, and I am NOT goin' through that again.

I have tried the technu and Zanfel.
Works about the same as simple Green from what I can tell.
I used the last of a technu sample yesterday.

For controlling the itch, nothing beats a HOT bath with 3 cups of Oatmeal tossed in the water. At least for an hour or two to get your sanity back.

Y'all keep your eyeballs open for the stuff, it's out there, lurking, and waiting.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'm knocking on 50, never had it in my life, can pick it and rub it together on my hands and arms still doesn't have an effect. Those that are allergic be careful about being around it burning, smoke inhalation of the leaves,vines burning can cause it to be ingested in the airway, lungs very serious stuff.

I just put a perimithin cattle ear tag on each boot in the spring (poke a hole through it and run the laces through the tag and hardly ever get a tick or chigger, probably will get cancer but the Doc only gave me 4 years to go 6 months ago based on connective muscle tissue disease/systemic lupus, would rather go bite free.

Grandma always said I didn't get posion ivy or oak due to being part native american, probably an old wives tale.

Jewelweed is natures cure...You can usually pick a bar of jewelweed soap at a compound pharmacy or off of ebay...I does work as long as you know you have been exposed and can wash w/ in a decent amount of time after exposure...

Out here we have poison oak. A couple of years ago I bought this setup, I call it the "vengeance weapon"
:chainsaw:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GppAKFGlxtQ&feature=channel_page

Trailmaker,

I laughed at that one!!!

I get the stuff on the farm between bluberry bushes.

Two products work well.
Velpar and Crossbow.

Not as much fun, and nowhere near as satisfying as flail chopping them into smithereens like with your setup though! LOL!!

It looks like some sort of dinosaur grazing LOL!!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I dropped 8 or so eastern white pines today that were covered in poison ivy(I think the ivy was holding some of the trees together). I am sure I will end up with it soon. It also seems every time I get it, it is worse than the time before.

Latest posts

Back