poison sumac

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fin460

Ham Fisted
Reaction score
I have a steep road bank that I can't mow or brush cut, and its growing up in sumac. I have always been around this stuff, but can't ever say I have actually came into skin contact with it. For the longest time I didn't even know it was poisonous. I've cut it before when sawing out fence rows, but in smaller bunches. I never thought anything about it then, but this stand is getting large and extensive probably 300 foot long, some of it 6 to 8 foot tall.

Is this a serious poison, or does just cause irritation? I've never heard of anyone getting this kind of poison before.

here are a lot of different kinds of Sumac, not all are poisonous. need pics for ID

This.

AFAIK, the poison variant has the fruits/berries hanging like grapes from the branch and at different places, not just the tip. The non-poisonous variety has berries that come off the tip only and point upward.

My wife thinks the poisonous ones have white or black berries while the non-poisonous have red. Not sure if this is correct. I only know that what we have isn't poisonous because this summer we soaked the berries and made something akin to lemonade out of it. Mild and pretty good IMO.

In any case, what blades said, get some pics up. I could be wildly incorrect so take what I wrote with a grain of salt. We've got it in our backyard growing ...well, like a weed, I guess. :dizzy:

If it is poisonous, I've heard it's irritation but nasty, especially if it gets in your lungs.

Thank you,

I believe the berries only show up at the top, but will have to check.

It makes sense that the kind around here aren't poisonous because no one has ever warned me against them, nor have I ever heard of anyone talking about getting poison rashes from being around them.

If you're feet aren't getting wet where you find it, it's very likely not poison Sumac. (berries white, poisonous sight)

This.

AFAIK, the poison variant has the fruits/berries hanging like grapes from the branch and at different places, not just the tip. The non-poisonous variety has berries that come off the tip only and point upward.

My wife thinks the poisonous ones have white or black berries while the non-poisonous have red. Not sure if this is correct. I only know that what we have isn't poisonous because this summer we soaked the berries and made something akin to lemonade out of it. Mild and pretty good IMO.

In any case, what blades said, get some pics up. I could be wildly incorrect so take what I wrote with a grain of salt. We've got it in our backyard growing ...well, like a weed, I guess. :dizzy:

If it is poisonous, I've heard it's irritation but nasty, especially if it gets in your lungs.

A long time family Dr. and friend told of his mother makeing a cough syrup from the berrys of sumac. The kind with the berrys upright on the branch are non poisonous but I've heard of some people haveing a mild reaction from this type but no where as severe as from poison sumac.

I got into poison sumac clearing out thickets. I needed an antibiotic & 2 steroid injections.

Paraquat is bad, bad stuff. You're better for the fact that it has a "Danger" label. It can still be bought - look up Gramoxone - you just need a RUP license. I can get it, but I don't want it.

I remember seeing the 55 gal. drums of it in my uncle's chemical shed in Fla. He ran a grove service.

Latest posts

Back