polar vortex in mid July?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They say its coming next week, with low temps in the 40's for you folks in the Northeast. Are y'all gonna fire up yer woodheaters? It's been perfect here in TN, lots of rain and highs hardly going past 90. Ain't global cooling great?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...cking-summer-return-in-eastern-u-s-next-week/

re-route that mother over this way. We are in a heat wave with temps 10 degrees above normal fro the past week and the 10 day predicts more of the same with some temps up to 20 degrees above normal.

Harry K

Nope. We won't be doing anything different. It must be a matter of what you're used to. In the summer when there are lows in the 40's (happens a lot in late August/early September) we don't even close our windows at night!

Well...if it hit 40s here in July I would light the stove..just to say I did years later. Hit high 50s the other night, felt great!

I'd take a cold blast of arctic air, that would be awesome, got 600' of fence to build this weekend.

Mr. HE:cool:

Bring it on, it's been HOT. But I ain't complainan after this last winter.

We welcome those temps in July will have all the windows open! Must say it has been a very pleasant summer so far compared to last year.

how is it perfect in TN but kentucky hasn't had a drop of rain since the 1st week of june.

how is it perfect in TN but kentucky hasn't had a drop of rain since the 1st week of june.

Ah, I know your area very well. I used to be active in cave exploration and mapping. The world's longest caves are right where you are, the geology is unique. There's hardly any water flowing anywhere above ground. There's almost literally a complete other world existing right under your feet, big booming cave passages that go for mile after mile, a wonder world of sculptured stone and underground rivers. I've spent many a long weekend in Horse Cave, Cave City, E Town, Mumfordville, etc. on caving trips. I don't cave anymore, but I can still dream about the good old days. Now I'm too preoccupied with maintaining property, big veggie gardens, freezing and canning, fixing mowing machines, welding, cutting firewood, and chainsaw milling take all my spare time.

I'm not pleased to hear yer not gettin' any rain. We've had exactly the right amount and my veggie garden is the best ever this year. I'll have a bumper crop of sweet corn and pole beans to freeze and can. I've not had to do any watering so far. Let's hope you get some rain with the system that will be moving in this coming week. They are predicting storms along with the cold temps.

Here we have had snow in July and I have also had frost in July. Rare but it did happen.

Harry K

I saw that in Maine one year, frost in every month and snow on the ground around the cabin from September to the following June. Just the once though.

I will have no problem lighting a fire if the house is cold and damp, Monday calling for high in the 50°'s low in the 40°'s I will probably be lighting a fire Monday night if not sooner.

We have had a mild summer so far, but It is starting to get hotter than hell's half acre! Bring on the Vortex! :clap:

http://mashable.com/2014/07/10/polar-vortex-redux-redux-record-cold-july-weather-on-the-way/

The strange weather pattern has its roots near Hudson Bay, Canada, where so much of last winter's cold originated. The cold air will be spinning around underneath an area of low pressure at upper levels of the atmosphere, which the jet stream, which is the river of air at about 30,000 feet, is going to steer south, into the U.S., over the weekend.
The dip in the jet stream, known as a "trough," is connected via a long chain of events to once-Super Typhoon Neoguri, which struck Japan on Wednesday as a weakened tropical storm, according to Jeff Masters of Weather Underground.The large and powerful nature of this storm has set in motion a chain-reaction set of events that will dramatically alter the path of the jet stream and affect weather patterns across the entire Northern Hemisphere next week. Neoguri will cause an acceleration of the North Pacific jet stream, causing a large amount of warm, moist tropical air to push over the North Pacific. This will amplify a trough low pressure over Alaska, causing a ripple effect in the jet stream over western North America, where a strong ridge of high pressure will develop, and over the Midwestern U.S., where a strong trough of low pressure will form. This jet stream pattern is similar to the nasty "Polar Vortex" pattern that set up during the winter of 2014 over North America, and will cause an unusually cool third week of July over the portions of the Midwest and Ohio Valley, with temperatures 10 - 20°F below average.

Back