Pole Barns

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectre468

ArboristSiteNoob
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

My wife and I were thinking about building a pole barn this spring.

Needed some input. Pros/cons, designs, plans. We were thinking 16'x20, but I'm not sure if the dimensions are too large. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

sounds like you need little more than a shed. and if so, very large pole barns can he had of dif sizes from your local country co-op, feed-N-seed, country lumber yard, country hardware center or ag center. Tractor Supply may carry them. or online. typical costs run $2500 - $3500... $4800. for the kit. 20 x 30x12 or 16. treated poles, usually 4x6, or 6 x 6, rafters, required lumber, galv-alum siding, roofing, drive in or pass thru. w/instructions. no doors. these are not garages, barns etc... they are pole barns. garage or shop or combo are another type of kit. usually takes 2 to erect, preferably with construction experience and some equipment. av cost with labor, but not set in stone... $6,000 - $12,000 depending on size, and supplier. delivery would be extra, if not locally supplied. show us what u get and build, if u go this route.

typical:

pbkit.jpg

I've got some photos of mine in this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/pallets-or.282529/#post-5436649

005-jpg.434180

blocks-jpg.434172

side-view-smoking-wood-and-shed-jpg.434181

Don't over spend on a woodshed. Seasoning wood is a simple process that can be done in any number of ways. The most important thing is to plan ahead by cutting and stacking your wood a year or two ahead of time and protecting it from rain.

We put up one with lean-to's on 3 sides thinking wood would be under one. Naw, equipment/toys filled up all of them in a heartbeat. Never big enough.

Yep. Mine is 42 x 60 x 14' walls with a 15 x 60 lean-to on one side. I never regretted going big to start with.
I have built homes for two customers who had pole buildings built at the same time I was building. I handled the concrete for the buildings since the building companies are not exactly known for their quality concrete work. I tried to talk both of them into doing larger buildings. They both came from residential subdivisions moving to acreage. They had lived with a two car garage for years. They never believe 3 times that could be too small. Both of them contacted me later about adding on...

Hey everyone!

Needed some input. Pros/cons, designs, plans. We were thinking 16'x20, but I'm not sure if the dimensions are too large. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Be careful giving large deposits a friend got ripped off to the tune of 30 K!

Hey everyone!

Thanks in advance!

Insulate it. Use ridge vents. If you are laying concrete, look into keyway expansion joints between columns instead of 3/4" wide materials.

Latest posts

Back