Pole climbers vs tree climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonewoodiron

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Am I nuts to use pole climbers on a tree? I own a set of 2-3/4” tree climbers and a set of pole climbers (don’t remember those measurements) I’ve found that I like the pole climbers for thin bark or skinny trees and the tree climbers for thick bark large trees. I’ve occasionally had a single leg kick out but that’s it. Does anyone else do this or am I nuts and need to get rid of the pole gaffs before the imminent accident?!

I always climbed on pole gaffs. I never liked the feel of tree gaffs, felt like I was standing on 2 pins. I like having my boots closer to the tree, so you could brace with a toe or heel. As long as your body positioning is correct, I never had a problem with tear outs. Spurs are such a personal thing, never really seen 2 climbers use the exact same setup. Of course back in the day, it was just assumed your feet would fall asleep within an hour, lol. I have had to be carried to the truck before. Today's gear is just head and shoulders over 20 years ago.

Never used pole spikes, have used 2 different sets of tree spikes, like bashlins the best, so far. normally it's the nasty really heavy bark trees that I have to make sure I'm set in right. But rarely have a spike out.
Ditto. Bashlin aluminum tree gaffs are the best I’ve ever had, the weight difference is the only thing that makes them better than Buckingham steel permanent tree gaffs in my opinion, otherwise I’d call it a tie. I was on steel Bucks for 10 years, they’re great.

I got a pair of Buckingham titanium with pole gaffs off eBay for a great price, but I don’t care for the short spikes. They seem really well made like everything from Buckingham. If I ever get a climber trainee I might pass them along to him/ her.

Back