Pole Man

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I received this Monthly Magazine That the Local REA sends out and was wundering shouldnt this Guys Pole Strap be around the pole instead of hanging from his belt?

Well, at least he is maintaining 3-point contact with the pole. He has one gaff, one hand and......... er........... oh, well. Never mind. :p

That`s the way I was taught to climb poles and still do to this day.
I`ve also been told that we`re getting a new body belt which will be placed around the pole prior to ascending.
It has the standard pole strap which is bridged with another strap that isolates the climber from the pole.
http://www.conductortrain.com/ht/pt2/cwp.htm

I was also just told I can`t use flat soled boots for climbing ladders, the boot must have a heel.:confused:

Last edited:
Over by my area all of the utilities companies use bucket trucks of varying degrees now. Haven't seen anybody up poles on spikes in YEARS now. Isn't the guy in the first picture a bit too far out from the pole?

I was talking to a freind, a former cabel intaller, and he said if you did have a strap on you would still go to the ground, you would just be full of big nasty slivers.

I would think by just doing one wrap around the pole, it would hold you up if you spiked out. Free climbing a pole seems just nuts.

Mike, I suspect that`s why they`re about to issue this new belt I mentioned earlier.
I`ll see if I can find a picture of it somewhere.
If you cut out the smaller loop in the belt which is around the pole prevents a drop to the ground.
It looks similar to this ...

A strap might work but I think a rope flipline fashioned in the same manner might bind on a pine.

Back