Pole saw injuries?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

familytreeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a friend whose pole saw was knocked loose, and the hook side of the tool hit his bicep
causing a softball sized contusion. Many people have also been cut by the blade...

Has anyone else been injured from a pole saw in tree?

Hand pinched between butt of pole and limb? this has got me before

Pole slip through your grip and butt end hit you in the upper thigh? see photo :oops::eek:

What are everyone's methods for pole use in tree, in regard to safe storage while not in use?

My company is creating some safety tools that could really help in this industry!

Attachments

• 20130512_102735.jpg
    20130512_102735.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
Manual pole saw. I don't recommend cutting branches overhead either.

I'm trying to group injuries from the pole saw directly.

Thank you for your reply and helping me clarify.

If not using the saw, I think you are s'posed to have a scabbard over the blade.
Which would be safe, but inconvenient.
Be nice if someone invented a commercial duty spring loaded retractable blade polesaw.

Last edited:
If not using the saw, I think you are s'posed to have a scabbard over the blade.
Which would be safe, but inconvenient.
Be nice if someone invented a commercial duty spring loaded retractable blade polesaw.

I use my elastic neck lanyard to hold the scabbard while making the cut to minimize the time the blade is exposed and limit it to only that time in which I am making a cut, then put it back on immediately after each cut. I think it could just as easyly be stored on a clip on your harness etc. I don't mined getting whacked with the saw and getting a bruise of some sort but that blade is some serious hurt anyway it touches you.

video of a canopy clean using the pole saw staring at 8:00, this link should take you to that time stamp.

Last edited:
I would think the repeated motion, soft tissue injuries, such as elbow tendonitis, rotator cuff, are probably the most prevalent. I rarely use a pole saw in a tree- usually can reposition to get where I need to be.

Hey yoyoman - kudos to you for the interesting ideas and methods you think of!

About 20yrs ago I guy I was working with hung his polesaw on a sucker while he wasn't using it and when he was repositioning underneath it his rope hit it a made it fall and the blade slid down over his shoulder blade and left a gruesome slash about 9" long. When I use a polesaw in a tree which is almost never i will girth hitch a nylon sling around a limb and just hang the polesaw in it

Back when I was still climbing, 20 plus years ago, it was quite common for climbers to have big long gashes on the back, shoulder, or scalp from a polesaw falling and ripping them as it went by. I had a splinter abouth the size of a skinny bal point pen go all the way through my hand in the meaty part between my thumb and forefinger, Joe.

down under manual pole saw use within trees is not common and some company's dont even have them as standard gear for ground crews
This amazes me as they are cheap and can sort tasks that other wise needs climber to extend beyond or get in a work lift

I use mine daily and is saves customer heaps of $ while making my task far easier

As for injury's sustained in use by me well none really, in the tree well take care aim away from face, on the ground tripping while moving looking up is common mishap.
Contact of above wires is one to keep in mind my poles aluminum so very conductive so great care in this area thinking always of the back swing and safe tool vs wire distance

I leave the scabbard on as long as possible, but once it comes off, then I try to keep the blade hanging around my leg or foot level, that way if it falls it won't rake across my neck or some other potentially life threatening area. If I have to hang it above my head then I hang it backwards and as far away from where I'm working as possible. Pruner heads are different and while they can still leave a nasty wound, I don't keep them level with me and the reason is because it to easy to want to grab the pruner by the head and if the rope snags, there goes a couple fingers. So despite it being dangerous from fall, I still like to keep it up higher then me. Oh, likewise if you keep a pruner pole in the sidebox of a chipper truck. Be sure not to pull it from it's head....to easy to lose a couple fingers. That's my only suggestion which you may already know.

I've only used a pole in a tree for collecting graft wood on contract so it was a case of climb, use, descend. It always had the scabbard on and I pulled it up when it needed it and back down to the ground when I didn't. Unwieldy and a pain in the ass up a tree and never gave me the cut I wanted, I preferred a hand saw/top handle for proper target pruning but it was quicker for that specific job. Wouldn't want one hanging anywhere near me or my rope

a few years ago a guy on my crew was working under a power pruner picking up brush as it was falling, the operator of the polesaw had a bad habbit of letting the saw drop after a branch was cut, long story short the groundie got his forearm tendons shortened, many stitches and a new job. were still good friends now but he cant make a fist and bent his wrist down without his fingers opening up.

a few years ago a guy on my crew was working under a power pruner picking up brush as it was falling, the operator of the polesaw had a bad habbit of letting the saw drop after a branch was cut, long story short the groundie got his forearm tendons shortened, many stitches and a new job. were still good friends now but he cant make a fist and bent his wrist down without his fingers opening up.
new job? as in he could no longer do that work? or got fired?

Back