Pole saw recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesTX

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking to get a pole saw. The local chainsaw store recommended an Echo PPT-260. He only sells Stihl and Echo.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Are there other brands that I should look at?

Riva - the chainsaw store I shop at recommended the Echo over the Stihl. He said that the driveshaft and cutting head in the Echo was better than the Stihl. Have you had any problems with the Stihl?

James,

I have had a Stihl KombiSystem (KM110R) for about six months and use the pole saw frequently -- no problems at all. Really love the convenience of the KombiSystem.

But, if you trust your dealer, it is hard to ignore their advice and experience. I like Stihl products but if I was in your shoes, not sure what I would do.

Chopwood said:
Talk to Gypo- He's got the fastest one on the world! LOL!

I saw that and I don't think I can trust him to give me honest advice. After all, who'd want to risk losing the World's Fastest Pole Saw crown.

fwf said:
James,

I have had a Stihl KombiSystem (KM110R) for about six months and use the pole saw frequently -- no problems at all. Really love the convenience of the KombiSystem.

But, if you trust your dealer, it is hard to ignore their advice and experience. I like Stihl products but if I was in your shoes, not sure what I would do.

fwf- I wasn't familiar with the Kombi system, so I looked it up. Very interesting.

Do you feel like you're missing anything by not having a dedicated pole saw? Is the joint that joins the power unit to the accessory tight or has it loosened over time? THe pole saw will extend to 11'6", how far will the Kombi go - it looks like about 6'?

And, how expensive are the accessories?

Thanks.
James

JamesTX said:
fwf- I wasn't familiar with the Kombi system, so I looked it up. Very interesting.

Do you feel like you're missing anything by not having a dedicated pole saw? Is the joint that joins the power unit to the accessory tight or has it loosened over time? THe pole saw will extend to 11'6", how far will the Kombi go - it looks like about 6'?

And, how expensive are the accessories?

Thanks.
James

Reach is about 7 feet and it does not extend. No problem with the joint -- easy to use and still tight. I paid $200 for the head (including string trimmer) and $169 for the pruner saw attachment. As I recall most other attachments were in $60-90 range.

I've been using the Echos for years. They are very rugged. The Stihls have a reputation for getting bent shafts (due to operator misuse but still it indicates that the smaller diamer shaft is less rugged than Echo's fat shaft.).

I have a ppt261 echo I love it we have the stihls at work both great. I like the handle on the echo, have to agree could use a little extra hp. I am going to get a walker muffler, we just got some new 4mix stihl pole saws at work. I dont like them I like the rpm of the originals, and the echo way better if you have access to echo pole saw, and a god dealer get it you wont be dissapointed.

Latest posts

Back