Pole saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a used Shindaiwa years ago for $125. It has been very reliable. It is a fixed length. Works well but I can see where an adjustable pole length would be a good option to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any opinions on the Jameson saw vs the American tree service supply saw?
http://www.americantreeservicesupply.com/product/ATSS200913TPS30
I have a Stihl ht-101 that I got for $175 used and it’s great but I need a really long manual saw. I love Silky saws but I need something longer and hopefully less expensive.
It would be amazing if the silky blades fit either of these but that’s a long shot!

I have an Echo pole saw, runs great.

One word of caution with any pole saw and this to NEVER take a large limb off with a single cut by the trunk. The larger the limb, the greater weight of the branch and it multiplies the probability of pinching the blade. When that happens the branch will swing down and bend the drive shaft of the pole saw. (very bad)

Cut off large limbs in 1/3rds so the above does not happen.

I bought a NOS Echo PPT265S last year. It telescopes, but it's not as long as I wanted, so I bought an extension tube for it. Gets heavy in my 70 year old arms when fully extended, and when you reach straight up with it you really need a helper supporting you. Does a good job though. I saw a tree crew using one on the ground instead of their small saw to cut limbs up.

I have used the regular Stihl extendable pole saw, wow it gets heavy quick when extended, it didn’t seem to start very well and I hate the crazy Stihl fuel caps .
Used a Echo extendable pole saw, yes it’s heavy when extended about like the Stihl but wow it never took more than one or two pulls to start, the regular fuel caps worked fine.
Used a Stihl combi system for one day and that’s what I plan on buying someday, it will easily reach 10 feet without any extension which is usually plenty for my use, like others have said it very easily breaks down to be hauled in a vehicle, it starts on the first pull every time ! about the only drawback I can think of is those stupid Stihl fuel caps, it’s plenty light enough for my use, overall I was very impressed !

Yes different years, the combi was brand new and what Stihl calls a four mix or something like that, it was much easier to start than the older regular 2 stroke pole saw, guess I just don’t like stuff that doesn’t start real easy

Does anyone know for sure if there is any difference, quality-wise, in the various brands that interchange on a wide variety of makes? Like craftsman, Ryobi, Toro, Poulan? Or are they all built the same and just labeled differently?

Another way of phrasing the question is, are there some that are actually worth paying more to get?

Thanks for your opinions.

Back