Pole--Slack in chain, when done

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you put slack in the chain, at end of day

• Yes

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 35 76.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mike Maas said:
The bar expands and contracts much the same as the chain.

actually it should expand and contract more than chain since afaik bar got more alunium than iron in it...

There's no need to slacken off the chain.. No matter how hot or cold, it just shouldn't (o.k., I admit, there are a few fools out there) be that tight so it would make a difference when temperature changes.

I have seen a lot chains that are banjo-string tight, and messed up clutch bearings, but I cant correlate this to bad main bearing or cranks in Stihls.

What I do hate is guys that tighten down the spark plug with 'full arm power" when hot. I need to use air to get them out!

Lakeside

I'm just speculating. But a lot of your fellow Americans run big bars on relatively small saws.

For example, 30" bar on a 44

Also, it snows and stuff over there. Now imagine a gypo logger type out in the woods who also happens to be a banjo player decides to tighten the darn thing up like a banjo after running the saw a while. Then is finished and leaves the saw in the back of the truck.

Over night the temperature goes well below zero.

So nothing happens?

An earlier poster mentioned bent cranks, in your experience is that BS from too tight a chain?

If cranks get bent at the drive side what would be the main cause of it?

Over here our temp is relatively stable, but I dont tighten the heck out of chains, in fact I like to have a teeny bit of slack so it doesn't get jammed with saw dust and you dont become one of those guys who repeatedly strikes the bar and chain into the top of a branch or log trying to inch the chain along to unjam it ... you know the move, they lift the saw up andwhack downward whilst pulling on the saw so the cutter teeth jam in the wood and hopefully as the saw is pulled back the chain starts to turn again ... many do it.

isnt it pretty obvious that its the overtightening of chain and not the heat shrinkage that causes such problems... its commonly known on motorcycle world that too tight chain will eat your output shafts bearing and in worst cases bend it...

Back