Polycarbonate or Kevlar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slvrmple72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Time to get a new climbing helmet. They are out of the Norseman Viking one with the horns so I need to choose between the Kevlar or the Polycarbonate. Suggestions from your experience with either. Biased towards the Kevlar. I wear safety glasses/shades and earplugs when I am up. I have a Husky helmet with the visor and muffs when I am down. Oh yeah, I sweat like a pig from my forehead!

Kevlar - My choice

I personally like the Kevlar. Although I haven't yet found a brand of helmet actually called "Kevlar" I know by reading the label on the packaging that the helmet is made by kevlar.

Great helmet, never had any problems with it. It fits my head and my groundmen's head's comfortably.

Good luck with your findings. And also, get a few more responses from some others they might be able to offer better/more insight.

I have both the Pacific and Petzl helmets and prefer the Petzl for being light weight.

Both will now take muffs and face screen, a good chinstrap and thumbscrew headband adjustments. I will not use a helmet that do not have these features.

I have both the Pacific and Petzl helmets and prefer the Petzl for being light weight.

Both will now take muffs and face screen, a good chinstrap and thumbscrew headband adjustments. I will not use a helmet that do not have these features.

+1

I like my Petzl. My head is so small that it fits better with a bandanna on, even at the smallest setting. I don't use the face shield. I have the bigger muffs and have to wear them in front when they are off my ears cause they balance the rig better that way. Makes me look like Mickey Mouse.

Time to get a new climbing helmet. They are out of the Norseman Viking one with the horns so I need to choose between the Kevlar or the Polycarbonate. Suggestions from your experience with either. Biased towards the Kevlar. I wear safety glasses/shades and earplugs when I am up. I have a Husky helmet with the visor and muffs when I am down. Oh yeah, I sweat like a pig from my forehead!

I am no help with helmet selection, I have not found one off the shelf that fits right yet (my head is 24 3/4" in circumference, size 8 3/8 hat).

But try this for the piggish like sweat problem.

attachment.php

Last edited:
After the the last "took an 020 to the face" thread, I have been looking for more protection. This weekend I considered picking up a full face kayakers helmet. Looks hot but effective.

Oh, I am kevlar/carbon fiber in the HB "el cap" I like it.

After the the last "took an 020 to the face" thread, I have been looking for more protection.

I bought a used lacrosse helmet from Play It Again Sports on Thursday for $30, added a little decoration with some orange tape, and put a forestry helmet screen over the cage (bar diameter on the cage measured about 0.230" with calipers). The cage is attached to the helmet at the forehead and in front of the ears (does not flip up). I feel this makes it safer - just have to undo the chin strap and tip it up in order to drink from my water bottle while up in the tree. Already used it up in two different trees this weekend. I guess it helps that it's vented, but I'm also wearing a t-shirt, kevlar safety shirt, gloves, jeans, a saddle with padding, long socks, and boots. ;)

If you've got your heart set on something Kevlar, check out US military PASGT helmets. Make sure it's a real one - they have some ABS replicas out there that are a lot cheaper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personnel_Armor_System_for_Ground_Troops#Helmet

I personally don't like wearing ear muffs or plugs while up in the tree. I want to hear any and all cracking and groaning as well as how the saw is running.

I personally don't like wearing ear muffs or plugs while up in the tree. I want to hear any and all cracking and groaning as well as how the saw is running.[/QUOTE]

You wont have to worry about hearing that (or music, people calling your name, etc) for to long if you dont use ear protection.

I like the petzl lids, great muff fitting and a good screen, fits well and light

Kevlar

I use Kevlar and its suppost to be tougher / more durable (and more expensive) but poly is definately lighter if your useing it four many hours it makes a difference on the neck. Ithink the use by date is greater for the Kevlar though.:greenchainsaw:

Thanks fellas for all of the input! I bought the Petzl Vertex Vent. Light weight was one of the deciding factors. The other being I have always appreciated the quality of Petzl's products!

I am no help with helmet selection, I have not found one off the shelf that fits right yet (my head is 24 3/4" in circumference, size 8 3/8 hat).

But try this for the piggish like sweat problem.

attachment.php

I just ordered up one of these. They are probably a little cheaper than the UA stuff. I see them priced for $9-18 depending on the style.

Back