Poor mans grapple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I was doodling last evening as I sometimes do and drew up a set of grapple tongs that would go onto the receiver I have for the fork on my tractor. I don't want to spend the money on a third function at this time so I came up with this idea, use a small wireless controlled winch to close them up. Well today I built them! These open up to 24" and are about 32" long overall in case you get the urge to build some :)
I built the receiver to slip on the fork last week or so to move my log splitter and dump trailer around with.
They should work for my intended purpose, I have two log landings to clean up which are less than a 1/4 mile apart on the same side of the road :)
I just want to be able to pick them up and set them in either a trailer or the pickup.
VAMxI2Rl.jpg

Here is a short video I made.

Well I was able to get over to one of the landings yesterday afternoon for a bit. The grapple worked great! The only thing I didn't like was the fact that you have to have the forks so high up in the air it made be a bit nervous on uneven ground. I may look into moving the pivot point up basically making the tongs shorter. The sad thing was the landing had been pretty well picked over, I guess someone got there before me. Oh well, I did find a nice heavy choker chain. I know the fellow who logged it so I'll give him a call and get it back to him.

So I was doodling last evening as I sometimes do and drew up a set of grapple tongs that would go onto the receiver I have for the fork on my tractor. I don't want to spend the money on a third function at this time so I came up with this idea, use a small wireless controlled winch to close them up. Well today I built them! These open up to 24" and are about 32" long overall in case you get the urge to build some :)
I built the receiver to slip on the fork last week or so to move my log splitter and dump trailer around with.
They should work for my intended purpose, I have two log landings to clean up which are less than a 1/4 mile apart on the same side of the road :)
I just want to be able to pick them up and set them in either a trailer or the pickup.
VAMxI2Rl.jpg

Here is a short video I made.

Like it.
How do you keep the unit on the fork and not sliding back off?

Like it.
How do you keep the unit on the fork and not sliding back off?

well if you are talking about version 1 the tongs are pinned, if you are talking about version 2 nothing, I think the winch must keep them from sliding, I was able to lift pieces straight up out of the pile, I am contemplating welding a chain hook to the c channel and using a short piece of chain around the forks. I wish I had someone to video while I was running the tractor but the wife isn't healed up enough to help yet.

What model of winch are you using? The cheapest ones don't have a load holding brake in them wondering how critical that is to what you are doing.

Love a lot of things about this design. The hitch pins as the pivot points so it comes off fast, the spring return. I also like the idea of a winch, it's a versatile tool on the farm for sure.

What model of winch are you using? The cheapest ones don't have a load holding brake in them wondering how critical that is to what you are doing.

Love a lot of things about this design. The hitch pins as the pivot points so it comes off fast, the spring return. I also like the idea of a winch, it's a versatile tool on the farm for sure.
I'll look at the model tomorrow, I think I still have the box in the garage. I'm thinking it has a load holding brake, I believe they were 69 on sale, I bought several at the time. I just looked and it's not even a HF winch, it's a 3000lb Traveler winch, I took the remote part off a HF winch.
THitUBGl.jpg

Well I got a chance to make an improvement today! I put one of the torsion springs on and did away with the )as my neighbor calls it, the redneck springs) bungee cords. It works pretty well.
zQPQkO9l.jpg

u4KLaeel.jpg

5XtNfiKl.jpg

In this video the piece of wood is Oak, it's 22" long and 19" across at the small end, it's heavy! LOL

Now I have to hunt down some heavier tube!

Latest posts

Back