Port Muffler, But About Mod Air Filter Now??...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlRockin'

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I see you can add a factory dual portted muffler or you can either mod yourself or have someone else do it for you.

What about the air filter side?

Isn't it prudent or recommended since the exhaust side is modded, that it would make sense to mod the side that introduces the carb to air? I see there are a couple(only that I know of) add-on/replacement air filters that allow more air flow. Wouldn't this be the next thing that "should" be done to get maximum performance... or do you think the port muffler is good enough?

How about just adding the new air filter that allows more cubic inches of air flow and not the port muffler. Wouldn't this alone add an increase in performance from a saw?

I look forward in your opinions.

Thank you.

StihlRockin'

I see you can add a factory dual portted muffler or you can either mod yourself or have someone else do it for you.

What about the air filter side?

Isn't it prudent or recommended since the exhaust side is modded, that it would make sense to mod the side that introduces the carb to air? I see there are a couple(only that I know of) add-on/replacement air filters that allow more air flow. Wouldn't this be the next thing that "should" be done to get maximum performance... or do you think the port muffler is good enough?

How about just adding the new air filter that allows more cubic inches of air flow and not the port muffler. Wouldn't this alone add an increase in performance from a saw?

I look forward in your opinions.

Thank you.

StihlRockin'

For just a simple power gain, opening the muffler up really helps. No need in getting more air flow without modding exhaust.

I have a max flow on my ported 460, ported saws are where you will see the gain using aftermarket air.

Go ahead and put a K/N filter on there. Then you will be cleaning it every few tanks of fuel like I have to on this saw. I have never ran the stock filter so I cant say if the filter made a difference or not, it just for ####s and giggles
attachment.php

$.02

if your saw (like mine) has a big automotive style oem filter on it, then i would think that it probably has a higher flow capability than a non modded saw requires anyway.

Back