Port pics and numbers pros feedback please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guarddog1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Here are some port pics of my 372 opened up the exhaust and intake widened both only raised the exhaust the amount needed for polishing.

Here are the numbers I came up with
Bore 1.970 70% = 1.379 my max port width (correct?)
Exhaust port inside port factory 1.165 after port and polish 1.248 = .083 total
Exhaust port at gasket factory 1.270 after port and polish 1.402 = .132 total
Used a 3/8 round file to be sure port walls on intake and exhaust were straight

Intake inside Factory 1.208 after port 1.248 = .040 total
Intake outside .840 round after port .882 = .420 total

Slightly tapered the upper transfers toward the intake port o and removed the ridge there I removed the edge on the lowers not much did not want to have any less sealing surface.

Squish factory .045 checked without gasket squish now .025 Confirmed
Closest side skirt measurement was .045 on the exhaust side the port is off center on the piston factory side skirt measurements on exhaust were .080 and .115

Removed some material from around the piston pin boss and smoothed underside of piston to try to smooth flow.

I ordered a jungle muffler and will put an additional 288 deflector on the top.
Also ordered a non limiting coil and 8 pin rim from baileys will be sporting an 18" Bar and chain with a square ground chain. Will post pics of muffler when arrives and I port it.

intake looks kinda wide, but should be fine from my understanding because doesn't deal with rings...looks nice...think i see a abrupt transition from round to flat tho is only comment i can find..exhuast looks beautiful......
here's a question...did you match the lower transfer ports to their counter parts on the crankcase becuase the profiles dont match on one end(front or back, not sure which) and can help...

you said your buying ajungle muffler??? is that the one with just a tube right? i dont like them, but with what you're gonna do, should look real good.

intake looks kinda wide, but should be fine from my understanding because doesn't deal with rings...looks nice...think i see a abrupt transition from round to flat tho is only comment i can find..exhuast looks beautiful......
here's a question...did you match the lower transfer ports to their counter parts on the crankcase becuase the profiles dont match on one end(front or back, not sure which) and can help...

you said your buying ajungle muffler??? is that the one with just a tube right? i dont like them, but with what you're gonna do, should look real good.

Great point with the transfers I will match the cylinder transfers to the ones in the crankcase. Also the intake looks really wide in the pics not so much in person. The profile is basically the same as the factory there was a lot going on there so just widened it and tried to maintain the factory profile.

Again thanks a bunch for your feed back I can learn something from everybody.

yeah, i realized it one day checking my port work to see if everything was ok after a day or so, and i used a silicone style gasket makes and pulliing it of i realized there was as mu ch as a quarter of an inch protruding from the cylinder over the crankcase. ...there may be other ways to do it, but by screwing the cylinder on with rtv gasket maker and letting it dry, i got a perfect profile of the crankcase and just scribed the edges in with a knife....just what i did, im sure there's another way.

I took a piece of paper and traced the block opening then cut it out and put it on the jug. Turns out the front transfers were about 1/8 inch off. I ground them exact then tapered the up into the port here are some pics of it.

Looks good!!!!

i like it!!

so she's pretty much ready....are you going do any more work to lower transfers or leave as is.??(sharpen up the divider ???)..not a big difference there but add everything up little by little...id probably run like it is...what you've done already is the same as paying some people (who aren't as reputable)...

let her rip...i wish i could be there to see the smile on your face....

hows the muffler comoin?

The muffler shipped out yesterday hopefully I will have it by the weekend. I will post pics of the muffler when done. I am also waiting for the deflector screen. But I have all the other parts. (I love Bailey's) and again Thanks to Brad for the link for the 372 dogs what a deal. So I guess while I am waiting I will do some work to the transfers dividers.

Saw is done Thank you for info!

Finished the saw put it back together and tuned it the saw seems to really want to rev. Seems to be happy around 15500 free rev it runs about 10500-11000 in wood seems like the normal chisle chain does not bite enough so I ordered a square ground and am waiting to see how it cuts. What an animal thanks to everyone for the education on how to do this. I will try to get videos of both my 394 and 372.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back