portable saw mills ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you going to be sawing and what support equipment do you have? How portable does it have to be? Hobby or commercial size?

First you probably need to decide between a bandmill and a swingblade, both have their plusses and minuses. How much automation?

Then pick the make and model. I know it may sound crazy buying a sawmill from Australia or NZ, but a Peterson or Lucas breaks down into a lot smaller packing crate than a woodmizer ;)

Cheers

Ian

I goggled quickly and Norwood and Hudson have dealers in the UK. I am sure there are others manufactures. You should demo as many mills as possible. There are many very good mills on the market and some junk. Also, look ahead into what blades are run on the mill (cost/sharpping). This is cost most people brush under the rug. Good luck.

Passion obsession and buget

Howit going ??? -decisions decisions decisions
Really depends on your budget.The first old timer I asked said your mad
wood I'm sick of wood.Don't talk to me about wood.I was just asking but kept my mouth shut.He kept talking as he showed me his lumber business.
Which is a main suburban outlet.He was third generation.As a younger man
he had chased his vocation several times to Alaska,New Guinee (? )etc. I could'nt help see a glint in his eye as he showed me around to a back part of the building .There was this large complicated 8 mtre long bed ,multitude of hoses,heavy duty approx 5 ton machine.' bloody wood ,I'm sick of it.This cost me $ 250,000.'So what 'I thought.He then showed me another room out the back ,where he had a display for old tools.He said he'd been collecting for
a while and that now he was taking school tours through and showing them
how things were made ,with bloody wood, sick of it.
OK - SO YOU ARE THINKING OF MILLING BLOODY WOOD.
What timbers ? What size timbers ? If your like most of us you'll want the
( phallic ) biggest.
DO YOU HAVE AN END PURPOSE FOR YOUR TIMBER.Just abit of furniture or
maybe sell a bit.Do you have some more practical application ie Frames or
beams for building / renos ??
Or if your like me, you hate to see all that good timber go to waste.Go to buy some it costs an arm and a leg !!
Budget - chainsaw mill .Alaskan / Ripper / Wexford / 200 - 900 pounds
OR make one yourself.Alaskan copy or something more adventurous ( time factor )
chainsaw - the choices are many and costs vary.REMEMBER most
SALESMEN HAVE THEIR PRODUCT IN MIND.If you intend cutting HW youll need grunt.Go Stihl or Husky
chain , bar and sprockets.Depends if you just want enough just to get started.Allow for 3 chains and a couple of bars.
fuels - don't go poor on me now.Get the best.
RRRRR / but I have more money to spend.I WANT a YOU BEAUT mill.I've
got a sh%$* load of timber to cut and it's got to represent my interests.
NOW weve decided I WANT I WANT I WANT THAT ONE - HMM 5000 pound
landed here, secondhand OR 9000 pound new/ minimum.
Apologies if Im being paronizing here .But welcome to the realms of
' bloody wood ' .
Have look at Hudsons
Norwood
Lucas
Petersons
OR ASK SOMEONE FOR THE SPECS AND EITHER MAKE ONE OR HAVE IT MADE FOR YOU .Any engineering ,welding contacts ??
- prepare to morgage your heart.

excuse me twas just passing / have to get back to my mods.
giddyup...........

Latest posts

Back