• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Ported Stihl MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fin460

Ham Fisted
Reaction score
Saw is low hour and runs great.
I have 4 of them, this is the nicest condition saw.

$625 shipped PHO

Ported by Moody

Starts and runs great, everything works, its missing the inside dawg, it was taken off during shipping, I will find it before the sale and reinstall.

Standard Carb
Paypal, Money Order, or Green USD Cash in person.

Thanks,
Justin
660-425-4818

Hello, new to the site. I'm not too familiar with the porting...is this a "race" port or is it more for work? I've read that work-style porting will have it run cooler so most likely last longer. I'm looking for a saw that will last a long time and I've read and heard from some of my dad's logging friends that this and the MS 260 before it are good saws. I'm not so sure I'm sold on the M-Tronic stuff so I'm looking at used too.

What does the porting usually cost to have it done? I couldn't seem to find info on Moody's ports from Google.

Oh, and what does PHO stand for? I haven't seen that acronym before.

Thx.

Porting typically runs $240-$300 plus shipping. PHO means powerhead only, no bar and chain. I too am a bit skeptical of the autotune and m-tronic saws. That said I did find a nice clean used 261 m-tronic for a very good price and bought it. So far it runs very well.

Welcome to the site!
Does porting make a saw last longer? Debatable.
Is the ms260 a good saw? Yes.
Porting costs $200-300 from reputable builders.
PHO means "power head only"

Porting typically runs $240-$300 plus shipping. PHO means powerhead only, no bar and chain. I too am a bit skeptical of the autotune and m-tronic saws. That said I did find a nice clean used 261 m-tronic for a very good price and bought it. So far it runs very well.
Guess we were typing at the same time...
You beat me to it. [emoji106]

Hello, new to the site. I'm not too familiar with the porting...is this a "race" port or is it more for work? I've read that work-style porting will have it run cooler so most likely last longer. I'm looking for a saw that will last a long time and I've read and heard from some of my dad's logging friends that this and the MS 260 before it are good saws. I'm not so sure I'm sold on the M-Tronic stuff so I'm looking at used too.

What does the porting usually cost to have it done? I couldn't seem to find info on Moody's ports from Google.

Oh, and what does PHO stand for? I haven't seen that acronym before.

Thx.
I just want to add. Justin left his number in the post. He is an awesome guy to deal with. You tell him what you want or are looking for and I bet he has it or has a line on one.

Wow, thanks for the quick replys. The only saws I've used previously were a 33cc Lowe's Poulan special with 14" POS (seriously WTF is up with that on/stop and choke), a $99 refurb Home Lite my dad has had for at least 10 years (and just died last weekend) and my father-in-law's Jonsered...not sure the model but it's old and still a beast...kinda heavy though. This looks like a great saw...I'm still stuck with the whole researching thing...I take too long to decide, but I like to make the right choice and I'll gladly pay more for something that will last.

My dad has about 10 cord worth of hardwood at his house - stuff the fella logging it said was too low-grade and isn't taking. I have a wood boiler in my new house so I'm going to stockpile it and need a good saw to get through it and future years.

Storm56 - where you at in NEPA? I'm near Bloomsburg.

Hey just up RT 487 and RT 118 from you. Small town called Sweet Valley. Used to live between Berwick and Orangeville just off RT 93.

Oh yeah, I'm familiar. My dad is near Shickshinny. We go to the beer store in Sweet Valley.

Beer is good! Shickshinny has a beer outlet too I am sure you know. When you are up this way sometime, drop me a PM here on the site, we can share thoughts over a cold one!

Sorry Finn for sidetracking your ad. Good luck with the sale!

Beer is good! Shickshinny has a beer outlet too I am sure you know. When you are up this way sometime, drop me a PM here on the site, we can share thoughts over a cold one!

Sorry Finn for sidetracking your ad. Good luck with the sale!

No worries on the sidetracking, that's what forums are for sometime.

Looks like a beast. I decided I wanted to make sure I got a warranty...went to a local shop (Zeisloft Farm Equipment/Tri-County something or other) and picked up a MS 261-CM that just arrived this morning. $589 + tax and I got a free hat and gloves and bought the oil to extend the warranty. Can't wait to give it a go this weekend. Good luck with your sale.

Looks like a beast. I decided I wanted to make sure I got a warranty...went to a local shop (Zeisloft Farm Equipment/Tri-County something or other) and picked up a MS 261-CM that just arrived this morning. $589 + tax and I got a free hat and gloves and bought the oil to extend the warranty. Can't wait to give it a go this weekend. Good luck with your sale.
Nice good luck and enjoy.

You won't miss the ported saw coming from box store saws. In fact it will feel like a hot saw! But once you get your hands on a well ported saw, things change. [emoji2]

Slightly of topic, but seemingly fitting for such a bad little saw. After watching hundreds of videos and trolling these sites for years I just figured out why everyone needs these awesome ported saws, its because they cut all those cookies instead of splitting
:chop:
That thing sounds great, can't wait to do some work on my little 550.

Saw is still for sale 625$ shipped pho, saw has sat since its video cutting cookies. I may fuel it up and cut some wood this weekend with it.

Saw is still for sale 625$ shipped pho, saw has sat since its video cutting cookies. I may fuel it up and cut some wood this weekend with it.
Did you get it out and open it up last weekend.
I would love to buy this for a buddy of mine, but we just bought a 3 point skidder for the kubota.
He would die if I handed this saw to him as he's cutting with an MS311 right now cleaning up 162 tops.
How would that pull a 20" in comparison to his 311 IYHO.

Did you get it out and open it up last weekend.
I would love to buy this for a buddy of mine, but we just bought a 3 point skidder for the kubota.
He would die if I handed this saw to him as he's cutting with an MS311 right now cleaning up 162 tops.
How would that pull a 20" in comparison to his 311 IYHO.

No I didn't get it out, life just never seems to slow down.

I think it will beat a ms311 in 15" wood, but the ms311 might beat it in 20" wood.

I have a stock ms362 that I can run it against and compare.

Back