Porting a 575 Husky Strato saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT78

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok I have ported several of my other saws with awesome results. I got a call a few weeks ago from a fella I met and he said he has a burned up 575 he will sell me for 30.00 how could I resist. Well long story short I am rebuilding the saw and figured while it is already apart I might as well do some work on the ports I am assuming that widening the exhaust and setting the squish as normal will gain some but I have no idea what to do with the intake or transfer system on this saw so any advice?

Strato work

Their just a two-stroke, everything you learned before still applies. I would suggest getting a degree wheel on it before you make any decisions.

If the strato timing is longer than the intake timing, then taking the intake timing out to the same duration as the strato is safe starting mod.

Check for carbon buildup in the transfer tunnels caused by exhaust gases venting into the transfers. So far, every model of Husky strato has shown insufficient blowdown time (yours could be different, please add your observations to the developing data base). If the blowdown is something like 12 degrees, then remember that adding just two more degrees (to 14 degrees blowdown) is a significant 17% increase in blowdown time - you want to add blowdown timing in small increments to keep the torque of the engine. Widening the exhaust will help with the area. The combination of extra area and timing will bring up the cutting speed quite well.

Since the Husky statos have such limited blowdown, a generous muffler mod helps with dropping the pressure in the cylinder. The 85% of exhaust port area research was done of conventional two-strokes with sufficient blowdown - you have to add extra flow to the muffler to help the Husky stratos. Check out the 'stealth' muffler mod in the thread.

The link Aussie1 gave you has heaps of various ideas that were tried, some worked, some didn't - have a read of the thread to help prevent you from trying something that was already proven to be a deadend.

And Wigglesworth is pulling your leg, these stratos will perk right up.

Last edited:
Back