Porting and muff mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rakoprtr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for someone to port and modd both my saws stihl 021 and poulon 295 I don't know alot about workin on saws but I have a good mechanical knowledge of regular motors from everything I've read porting and a muff mod do a heck of alot for the power does anyone know where I can get this done local (arkansas) or where a good place to send em is and roughly how much it's gonna cost

$250? per saw? the poulan isn't worth more than $75 in very good condition and the gains will be very little at best. not worth the cost of the saw. a muffler mod has shown more times than not to be the best bang for the buck on that poulan.

the 021? another saw that isn't worth the cut. gain wil be so minimal you'l wonder why you even bothered. again, this is a muff mod saw only. no reason the waste somebodies time and money.

$500 for a pair of saws you wouldn't get $150 for......

$250? per saw? the poulan isn't worth more than $75 in very good condition and the gains will be very little at best. not worth the cost of the saw. a muffler mod has shown more times than not to be the best bang for the buck on that poulan.

the 021? another saw that isn't worth the cut. gain wil be so minimal you'l wonder why you even bothered. again, this is a muff mod saw only. no reason the waste somebodies time and money.

$500 for a pair of saws you wouldn't get $150 for......

Is a muff mod something the I can do myself is there a linky someone can post

Is a muff mod something the I can do myself is there a linky someone can post

oh yes you can do it yourself! take a look around here using 'muff mod', 'muffler mod', etc.. there is far too much info to post in one space.:)

this is on a poulan 2800, about the same size as the pp 295 you have.
mwbhna.jpg

tubing is 1/2" i.d., and 3/4" long. i've found this to work extremly well. you could also bronze it in or tig, mig or arc:) j.b. weld will not work:msp_tongue: i use 15% silver solder. make sure the port clears the chainbrake and any other parts that may be damaged by heat.
you'll also have to get the carb retuned, weather it has the splined mix screws or the slotted ones will depend on where you have it done. you could get the proper tool off ebay or a few of the sponseres here for next to nothing if needed. or take it in to a good trustworthy shop to have them set it up for you. shouldn't cost much if anything.

Ok so I go the 021 apart easy all the muffler had inside was this little baffle type thing so I removed it I turned the carb up two clickity clicks on the h knob seemed to run and idle fine couldn't really till a big diff besides maybe a little in the tone at idle ( but I didn't have any wood to test it on either) is there anything else I need to do to the cover or anything to this one before I call it muff mod done View attachment 243533the poulan I couldn't get apart I took the nut off just like I did on the other one but the muffler wouldn't pull off I priyed and prodded as much as I felt I could with out causing any damage anyone know what would be causing it not to come off I couldn't find any fasteners on the back side I'm stumped View attachment 243534

From what I've been told is to make the exit of the exhaust just a little smaller than the entrance of the exhaust; mine are all different from 95% to 90%

From what I've been told is to make the exit of the exhaust just a little smaller than the entrance of the exhaust; mine are all different from 95% to 90%

Are u talkin about on the actual muffler pieces or the ports

Got the poulan done today turns out I'm an idiot which is why I couldn't get the muffler off neway I got it off enlarged the exit I couldn't get it open to take the baffels out with out tearing it up so I'm waiting to find another one before i try that here's some before n after pics of the hole View attachment 243799View attachment 243800 turned the high side of the carb up about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn I gotta buy a tach to get it right but that's a good ear shot estimate

Got the poulan done today turns out I'm an idiot which is why I couldn't get the muffler off neway I got it off enlarged the exit I couldn't get it open to take the baffels out with out tearing it up so I'm waiting to find another one before i try that here's some before n after pics of the hole View attachment 243799View attachment 243800 turned the high side of the carb up about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn I gotta buy a tach to get it right but that's a good ear shot estimate

I went to my local dealer and got one out of there trash barrel that came off a different saw that wasn't a 250; if I remember right a 021 series includes the 250

Very nice looking

oh yes you can do it yourself! take a look around here using 'muff mod', 'muffler mod', etc.. there is far too much info to post in one space.:)

this is on a poulan 2800, about the same size as the pp 295 you have.
mwbhna.jpg

tubing is 1/2" i.d., and 3/4" long. i've found this to work extremly well. you could also bronze it in or tig, mig or arc:) j.b. weld will not work:msp_tongue: i use 15% silver solder. make sure the port clears the chainbrake and any other parts that may be damaged by heat.
you'll also have to get the carb retuned, weather it has the splined mix screws or the slotted ones will depend on where you have it done. you could get the proper tool off ebay or a few of the sponseres here for next to nothing if needed. or take it in to a good trustworthy shop to have them set it up for you. shouldn't cost much if anything.

How do you clean it to get the silver solder to flow good?

it needs to be cleaned just like you were to bronze it. spotless bare steel, absolutly no crud what so ever. blast the muffler clean with brake cleaner to remove any left over oils.
you also need to use the proper flux.

You really need to learn how a saw sounds when it is tuned correctly. You need to know what 4 stroking sounds like when at full throttle and then when in the wood it goes to a smooth 2 stroking sound. Until you can determine that you really should not be modifying anything. You will end up scoring a cylinder from running to lean if your not careful. I bought a tach and I never use it for tuning a modded saw. View attachment 247038

This is a pic of my PP 260 42cc that I ported and muffler modded. I did it for practice but it does haul butt.
247038d1343867013-260-exhaust-001-jpg

Last edited:
There can be significant gains outa your 021 you just gota send it to the right builder treemonkey did mine and I'm extremely happy how it turned out but I'm sure other builders can do it as well

Back