Porting questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No new handle but I did go and look at the user control panel. Oh well.
Later

Good, in that case you won't mind me removing Fish4brains from the system. OK, fish4dinner?? lol

btw, did you know that both you fish4 guys have the same birthday> :hmm3grin2orange:

Why not just measure the skirt with a micrometer?

sure why not, then measure the bore, or how about using feeler gages between the two.

I guess if you don't see a big difference in squish measurements no need to go any further.

plus, the cylinder walls are a machined surface, cut true. The "head" is a casting, any imperfections in the casting would show up in the squish clearance. In one spot.

Also be carefull using after market pistons, I did a squish test with new piston, with gasket and the readings were .013"

plus, the cylinder walls are a machined surface, cut true. The "head" is a casting, any imperfections in the casting would show up in the squish clearance. In one spot.

Most I look at have the squish band, or at least the outer edge (all that matters if it's tapered) machined into the cylinder... not just rough cast.

Also be carefull using after market pistons, I did a squish test with new piston, with gasket and the readings were .013"

I have also found some aftermarket to be differant specs than the orignal.

I have never seen a "non machined" squish band. Not saying they aren't out there, but most of them are a quality finish.

fish

Ok I tore it down last night and am going to degree it now. the piston looks pretty bad so Im thinking I will put her back together for now.then order a piston and ring and do a light clean up hone on the bore and thats when "and if" I do a bit of porting on her. Right now i have to get it off my bench. I will post degree wheel results.
Thanks Brian
Oh to fill you in three years ago my brother in law put straight gas in it. My fault I didnt make sure of the can he grabbed:bang: but he ran it untill it quit 3 times." I was watching from 100 yards away". Anyway put mix in it and it has run good since so no suprise on the wear..
I bet alot more saws get that treatment than we will ever know.

fish, how did your engine turn out?

I had to throw her together cuz its been snowing like a SOB here and I am feeding my boiler hand to mouth for now. Now that the weather finally broke here I plan on another teardown this weekend or maybee next. Thanks for the interest I will keep posting as things happen. Just a small delay in the plans.
Fish

bump

I had to throw her together cuz its been snowing like a SOB here and I am feeding my boiler hand to mouth for now. Now that the weather finally broke here I plan on another teardown this weekend or maybee next. Thanks for the interest I will keep posting as things happen. Just a small delay in the plans.
Fish

fish, hows it going???

Not good for the saw mods 1953. I have a small business doing mechanical design and some light manufacturing and its been real busy. Also trying to get a good stack of wood cut b4 the ripdown. Its gonna happen no doubt just a bit slow.I am chompin at the bit to get started though
Later

Latest posts

Back