Porting Stihl 026? Power gains more then MS290?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 290 doesn't get much if any respect but i bought one new in 04 and i cut enough hardwood to heat a house and a garage 24/7 for 9 years with one and i never had a single issue with the saw, a good sharp chain and a 20inch bar cut pretty darn good. I recently picked up an 026 pro, i haven't got a chance to cut with it but i got a fealing i'm gonna love it. It's super light and seems to have good power

My 026 is diassembled in a box. Need to get bearings and new rubber, otherwise ready to start the rebuild.

The 290 doesn't get much if any respect but i bought one new in 04 and i cut enough hardwood to heat a house and a garage 24/7 for 9 years with one and i never had a single issue with the saw, a good sharp chain and a 20inch bar cut pretty darn good. I recently picked up an 026 pro, i haven't got a chance to cut with it but i got a fealing i'm gonna love it. It's super light and seems to have good power
The 290 isn't a 'bad' saw. It will cut wood and last a long time if taken care of. It's just heavy and bulky for it's power and has a plastic case. There are lighter, smaller, faster, better handling and better quality saws out there. I personal enjoy running better saws. :)

I'd be interested in that 025, just saying.

BTW 029's are on CL by me all the time for $200 - $350. I think $150 - $175 is a more reasonable asking price IMO. Although I wouldn't buy one anymore, some people do shell out the dough for them. They really aren't a terrible saw, there are just better ones to be had.

Just got my 026 Back from Randy here is the muff Mod he put on it

I like it !

its pouring outside or id try it in some wood

its sounds great !:clap::clap:

photo.jpgmuff 026.jpg

I've run my buddies 2012 MS 290 16" bar against my stock 2012 MS 260 18" bar, the pro saw just out performs. After a muffler modification and exhaust porting this little pro saw runs a 20" bar like its big brothers.
My 20 year old 026 Pro in stock configuration with a 16" bar is the best little saw I've ever owned. It starts on the 2nd pull every time even after sitting for months.

You'll like the 026, got the 290 on CL yet?:laugh:

You'll like the 026, got the 290 on CL yet?:laugh:
i've been watching CL and ebay, nothing yet. i made a mistake in my post i got a ms260 pro not an 026, the guy i bought it from only ran ethenol free fuel so i'm trying to find some locally before i run it, just haven't had time

Go on the VP fuel website and find a dealer. Not cheap, but when it's the only option.....

Just to keep things in perpective, the 029 vs 026. There was over a $125.00 difference in price.
Today MS261 vs MS290 it's about $180.00. How can anyone compare the two?
That has to mean something, even to the most bias spec checkers.

Back