posion ivy VS. velocity & e2e selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

802climber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,
I am going to buy my first smaller than 1/2" climbing line. Primary use will be SRT with Rope Wrench and Distel hitch. Possibly mechanical ascenders, possibly dDRT.

Choosing between Poison Ivy OR Velocity.

Currently run a Distel on 1/2" Blue Streak, with either 10mm bee line or 8mm ice line.

Will I end up wanting 8mm bee line for these 11.x diameter ropes?

So far I'm leaning toward Velocity.....

Any help is much appreciated.

are you voting for velocity with 8mm bee line??

what about 8mm ice... anybody? after some use, ice fuzzes up "fatter" than 10mm beeline.... so i'm not so sure....

i havent actually used any of those ropes other then poison ivy, i bought that based on just inspecting them all in the store, so far ive been very happy with it
also tho i dont use mine the same as you want to use yours, as a climbing line i just use a friction hitch
i also rig with it a lot, unless its maybe a piece 1000+ pounds in which case i use my true blue

i should add, ive used blue streaks too, only rope ive ever broke, and i know god damn well a true blue would have held it
i got so damn lucky, that top came down tips first on the house and rolled right off, damn near knocked my teeth out tho

Last edited:
I'm climbing on Poison Hi Vy (Hi Viz version of Poison Ivy) with 8mm beeline and generally use a 3 wrap klemheist. I'm on Doubled rope and weigh about 250. With a distel you'd have to experiment, get a bit of each. Those e2e's sure can be expensive though, and you never do know until it's too late exactly how many wraps/how long you need. Try buying a length of each and experimenting, just tying an 8 in each end until you work your wraps/length out before buying a spliced e2e. I eye spliced my poinson Hi Vy and found it easy, spliced my 8mm beeline too but used the double braid style splice, not the brummel. I spliced the beeline for use on a blakes but found it too grabby.

You can see the splices here http://www.arboristsite.com/commercial-tree-care-climbing/177590.htm

I really am enjoying the poison ivy, not too heavy and occasionally I do use it SRT with mechanical devices (shunt, ascenders, microscender etc). It's wearing well so far and hasn't really fattened or fuzzed as much as the new england hi vee I used to climb on. I'm fully expecting to get 2 years out of it based on how its going so far. If the color is a turn off then blue moon is the same rope.

I haven't tried velocity. Before I bought my poison ivy I'd read complaints about it milking, but I've been on mine every day for the last 3 or 4 months and no milking so far. I bought a 200' length and cut it down to 120' and an 80'. I put an eye splice in both hanks. I've got a couple 150' ropes and a 200' for bigger climbs but I rarely use them because most of my work is residential/city. Trees just don't grow that big. I've been doing quite a few 100'+ trees lately, some up to 140', and I use the bigger ropes to get up there then switch down to the shorter poison ivy. It's too much work having a long rope up in the tree.

Shaun

i havent actually used any of those ropes other then poison ivy, i bought that based on just inspecting them all in the store, so far ive been very happy with it
also tho i dont use mine the same as you want to use yours, as a climbing line i just use a friction hitch
i also rig with it a lot, unless its maybe a piece 1000+ pounds in which case i use my true blue

You rig with your climb line??

i just got some yale imorii and love it, but if you are looking to srt id buy a dedicated rope with no stretch for that.

There is no such thing as a rope with no stretch, and the manufacturers numbers are of little help. There is no agreed standard for measuring stretch, so manufacturers standards are not comparable with each other. Having said that, it's agreed that any rope with less than 6% stretch is static, and all climbing ropes I know of are well inside that spec.

If you want to believe the numbers, velocity comes in at 2.5%, poison Ivy at 1.8%. Snakebite has the lowest stretch of any rope I've seen at 0.63%. For reference, New England Hi Vee is 4.5%. There s no spec listed for imori either at yale or sherrill, but if it is the same as XTC then it's 3.15%. These numbers all came from the supposedly inhouse Sherrill testing, so even if they are not exact they should at least give a comparable reference.

Shaun

You rig with your climb line??

yeah, why not? been doing it for 15 years and never had a problem or even anything that resembled a problem
true blue is what? 7000+lbs rope? maybe shockload included ive come close to that
poison ivy is something like 6000lbs, i dont ever come anywhere close to that
its sortta like saying, you rope limbs over houses when the customers home? or you rope limbs with a ground crew near by?

i trust my ropes, i know what they can handle and i inspect them religiously

yeah, why not? been doing it for 15 years and never had a problem or even anything that resembled a problem
true blue is what? 7000+lbs rope? maybe shockload included ive come close to that
poison ivy is something like 6000lbs, i dont ever come anywhere close to that
its sortta like saying, you rope limbs over houses when the customers home? or you rope limbs with a ground crew near by?

i trust my ropes, i know what they can handle and i inspect them religiously

I just don't use my climb line as a rigging line and think it is a bad practice, but you can do what ever you want.

I'l do a little light rigging with my tail but not anything extensive. It is more of an expediency thing then my MO. Doing all of my rigging off my tail would be a PITA, I like to change ends, or redirect too often for it to work well. Most of the time i like to push weights, especially with the GRCS. Most of my ropes che caramel streaks on them from crotches or The Winch drum melting the cover. Which is the reason I do not like hollow braid for most anyting.

Velosity is my favorite climbing line, because it has the Samthane coating on, which gives it a little "tack" it helps my lardazz when I need to footlock. Thank God for the Wraptor, I do not have to FL for any great distance any more :laugh:

Hello,
I am going to buy my first smaller than 1/2" climbing line. Primary use will be SRT with Rope Wrench and Distel hitch. Possibly mechanical ascenders, possibly dDRT.

Choosing between Poison Ivy OR Velocity.

Currently run a Distel on 1/2" Blue Streak, with either 10mm bee line or 8mm ice line.

Will I end up wanting 8mm bee line for these 11.x diameter ropes?

So far I'm leaning toward Velocity.....

Any help is much appreciated.

Im running 24 strand Blue Moon 11.7mm which is poison ivy but blue, so far I like, and 11.7mm runs better through my SJ2 (spider jack2) than 13mm samson blue streak...

havent run velocity, so I cant say.

I run velocity with a blue streak Blake's. Works great any way I choose to climb.

im not a fan of blue streaks, ive broken 2 of them shock loading stuff i know god damn well a true blue would have held, and its supposed to be a stronger rope

I was using both 8mm beeline and 8mm hrc with my posion ivy both worked well with the hitch I am using. I was told to try a 10mm beeline as well but never got around to it, I actually think the hrc was a little better than the beeline from my experience any way. I really like the 8mm ocean I am using right now I am using it on a tachyon, my next rope will be velocity and I am going to use the 8mm ocean on it since I was told it should work pretty well by another climber. A couple guys I talked to that used velocity said that once it is broken in its stretch is very minimal the posion ivy was the same for me so I imagine they would make a decent srt line. I am using an imori as an ascent line right now footlocking it srt with an ascender I like it alright but I think my tachyon is just as good although the imori seems to have less bounce to it, its just softer and I cant get as good of a lock with it as I can the tachyon.
Im new to climbing but I hope this helps.

I 2nd that, never use your LIFE support line to rig stuff down....you just asking for trouble...:msp_ohmy:

I 3rd that! infact if a climbing line ever gets used for riging of any sort it is retired as a climbing line period.
And if you broke a few you have probably brought a few way to close to the cycles to failure limit and would not want to find out in a fall that was the last cycle. I want to be the one to tuck my kids in at night and take my own boots off at the end of the day.
P.S. I don't use spurs unless it's a removal either

Latest posts

Back