Post logging trail cleanup/ forest management

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the door necessary for a rotary cutter, or just for a shredder?

Looking at Bobcat's website, they just list the door as a requirement for a shredder, not for the rotary cutters.

Thanks,

Ken

I haven't used a rotary cutter. But I'd rather have it and not need it than find out I need it and not have it. Those chunks can be deadly when they leave mine.

Andy

rubber tracks wear out fast and bogie wheels are never cheap but that oxtrac looks kinda cool....for the past couple of years i have wanted a sweco-small, has winch, blade, rippers and really fun to run....but expensive.

I have 3000 hrs on my oxtrac, and have operated it in some pretty hairy terrain , the steel grousers show little to no sign of wear, and the rubber belts are in great shape !

I have 3000 hrs on my oxtrac, and have operated it in some pretty hairy terrain , the steel grousers show little to no sign of wear, and the rubber belts are in great shape !

what part of canada do you work in? what are your main uses(big or small diam)? how steep of terrain(degree) w/o a trail already made and will it pull stuff uphill? thanks for any info

Think smaller

Your place looks similar to ours. I work a full-time job, have rentals, coach, etc. and I really think that a little time in the woods cutting firewood out of the way, followed by a rotary mower to maintain would work well. I spray the edge overgrowth (generic round-up, crossbow, tordon) about one 16 gal four wheeler sprayer per year to keep up with it, mow high over the stumps for a couple of years, seed clover for deer where there is enough light (looks like your would be good). My paths are not straight, but I have very little cost in this. If you're going with Woods, check out the heavier series. Numbers with more zeros are heavier, i.e.: 6 footer is 72, 720, 7200.

Good luck,

Bill

Your place looks similar to ours. I work a full-time job, have rentals, coach, etc. and I really think that a little time in the woods cutting firewood out of the way, followed by a rotary mower to maintain would work well. I spray the edge overgrowth (generic round-up, crossbow, tordon) about one 16 gal four wheeler sprayer per year to keep up with it, mow high over the stumps for a couple of years, seed clover for deer where there is enough light (looks like your would be good). My paths are not straight, but I have very little cost in this. If you're going with Woods, check out the heavier series. Numbers with more zeros are heavier, i.e.: 6 footer is 72, 720, 7200.

Good luck,

Bill

Thanks Bill,

That's basically what I'm doing man - I looked at the heavier BrushBulls - wow $2k I spent the $ on a new trailer instead :) - neighbor has a lighter brushbull that's been used 1 or 2x....who knows.

Have a sprayer for the 4wheeler - want to get some booms on it - it's all about time though -

I've started taking trees from people who doj't want them - ads on CL and such - time is at a minimum moreso than ever.

Sprayer booms

For my sprayer, I just use the hand-held sprayer it came from for a lot of things. A little slower than a boom, but often quicker than putting the booms on, calibrating, etc. for small jobs.

Good luck - for the deer management stuff, check out qdmaforums

Bill

All brushbulls are good

I looked at the heavier BrushBulls - wow $2k I spent the $ on a new trailer instead :) - neighbor has a lighter brushbull that's been used 1 or 2x....who knows.

I had an old Woods, bought used and ran it 25 years with 200+ acres each year. Mostly grasses and weeds, occasionally some "rougher" material. When I went to look at new, the standard model is comparable (i.e. 72) I did end up getting a demonstrator model one step better (720), because that was the deal at the time. Ask around for the unit the dealer used around their place - this one was almost new - with a significant savings.

Good luck

I looked at the heavier BrushBulls - wow $2k I spent the $ on a new trailer instead :) - neighbor has a lighter brushbull that's been used 1 or 2x....who knows.

I had an old Woods, bought used and ran it 25 years with 200+ acres each year. Mostly grasses and weeds, occasionally some "rougher" material. When I went to look at new, the standard model is comparable (i.e. 72) I did end up getting a demonstrator model one step better (720), because that was the deal at the time. Ask around for the unit the dealer used around their place - this one was almost new - with a significant savings.

Good luck

good idea - thanks! My neighbor has a 5footer that's been used once and he said he has no use for it - although a 6footer is preferred, I should/ need to talk with him first.

what part of canada do you work in? what are your main uses(big or small diam)? how steep of terrain(degree) w/o a trail already made and will it pull stuff uphill? thanks for any info

In Ontario, we cut anything from 10/12 up to 40 , we have worked the machine on very steep slopes never had a problem, winched up backwords once on a very steep embankment about 60 feet high at about 60 degrees,

the machine pulls well uphill depending on what load you have on the back.

as for no trails this thing will go just about anywhere.

hope that helps

you need a large skidsteer with a Fecon mower and a grapple..

I dont have any recent pics of our equipment but its like this guys and its what I'd recommend.

http://www.************/showthread.php?t=261703

Latest posts

Back