Poulan 71A - Carb flooding after rebuild?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 182389

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just rebuilt the carb on my Poulan 71A with the DG-5HL kit and now it seems to be flooding out when its running? I tried adjusting the low and high screws but they seem to not make a difference to the saw. Throttle response is non-existant; the saw only wants to idle. The carb has the original needle and lever and appears to be straight with the carb surface. I also followed the factory build diagram when putting it together so everything would be assembled correctly. Any ideas as to what my issue is? thanks

Yes I checked both and they move freely, but it seems like the saw dosent want to rev up at all

Without seeing it run, we can only guess.
You may have an ignition issue too, you might clean and adjust the points. Dirty points could mimic a running rich issue.

Gaskets, pump diaphram, and filter screen, I didn't change the needle and lever. Whole carb was dissasembled and cleaned with carb cleaner before reassembly. I dont have a pressure tester but the carb seems to hold fuel just fine.

If you have no pressure tester, you can make a field expedient one with a purge valve. You have to listen for pressure venting because there’s no gauge. You can also gently blow on a length of (clean) tube attached to whatever port. Don’t use this method to draw vacuum unless you have a strange palate.

I just solved an issue with a carb flooding. The metering needle was being held off the seat by the lever and it was instaflooding to the point where it wasn’t even popping. Yours might be just engaging the needle a bit early. Accidentally tweaking the lever will do that too…

Do you still have the original metering diaphragm? Is the pin there longer than the original, it’ll do this.

Both the original and replacement pump diaphrams are identical. Could it be possible that the carb would flood if the H and L screws are reversed?

Both the original and replacement pump diaphrams are identical. Could it be possible that the carb would flood if the H and L screws are reversed?

That is possible, but if I remember right the H screw is longer then the L screw so if they are the same height when screwed in there not backwards.

I have done so many of these I learned a lesson a long time ago, I never go through a carb on these without replacing the needle and seat. Especially if they still have the original plastic needle.

I now use a aftermarket kit to replace the RK88-HL kits that have a forked lever, a brass seat and a Viton tipped needle. I find it has all but eliminated needle and seat problems. They also don't tend to have the needle stick after they have been stored a while.

Is this the first time you have run the saw or have you had it running before? Barring a leaking inlet needle, it sounds like you may have a faulty fuel governor. I have had bad ones that flood the engine like you describe.
A word of warning, do not and I repeat do not try to remove it unless you have a screw driver that fits the slot perfectly. It needs like a gunsmith type tip. If not you will peel the brass slot out and have a hell of a time ever getting it out.

Back