Poulan BABY YEAH!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
Check out what I found today while I was out galavanting around the saw shops. Had to bring this one home with me. Poulan 5500. This is the same as a Dolmar 144. 90cc. The pics look Yellow, but it is really green! Almost new 25" bar and .404 chain. Just been sitting. Had her running and made a couple cookies. This old thing has a little compression. lol.

Anybody know where i can get some poulan green paint, an outside dog, and new stickers? I want to clean this one up and make it look new again.

-Steve

attachment.php

Last edited:
never clean a work saw or paint a work of art. Put it back in it's case and send it to me you have enough big saws I need more so it is a win win. j/k nice find

Freakingstang said:
Check out what I found today while I was out galavanting around the saw shops. Had to bring this one home with me. Poulan 5500. This is the same as a Dolmar 144. 90cc. The pics look Yellow, but it is really green! Almost new 25" bar and .404 chain. Just been sitting. Had her running and made a couple cookies. This old thing has a little compression. lol.

Anybody know where i can get some poulan green paint, an outside dog, and new stickers? I want to clean this one up and make it look new again.

-Steve

attachment.php

Hold up there buddy, how many did you pick up, hmm. Do I see a yellow critter over to the right of that big Poulan???????

upandcommer said:
never clean a work saw or paint a work of art. Put it back in it's case and send it to me you have enough big saws I need more so it is a win win. j/k nice find

lol. It wouldn't fit in that case! The case was from a Parnter 5000 I bought today also....

I'd like to restore the big ole poulan. It sure runs good, but I probably ought to go through the carb for good sakes.

-Steve

THALL10326 said:
Hold up there buddy, how many did you pick up, hmm. Do I see a yellow critter over to the right of that big Poulan???????

Yup Tom, there is a Yellow one over yonder... I picked up a couple today. 3 to be exact. The 5500, a partner 5000 and a Stihl 038 Super!

The 038 needs a couple parts, front muffler cover, air filter and the plate for the air filter.

The 5000 partner needs carb work. original owner said it had too much compression and bought a smaller saw....

I'll get pics up here in a few of the rest.

-Steve

Freakingstang said:
Yup Tom, there is a Yellow one over yonder... I picked up a couple today. 3 to be exact. The 5500, a partner 5000 and a Stihl 038 Super!

The 038 needs a couple parts, front muffler cover, air filter and the plate for the air filter.

The 5000 partner needs carb work. original owner said it had too much compression and bought a smaller saw....

I'll get pics up here in a few of the rest.

-Steve

Awwwwwwwwww now you spill da beans,lol, good job. Can never have enough saws I say.......................

here are some pics of other stuff I picked up today. I found an oregon bar mount filing tool that will take a chisel bit file. I don't have pics, but could post up a couple of that too. lol. Check out the new 21" bar on the 038. You can tell how long this has been sitting. When did Sandvik make their own bars (before they were Windsor-Sandvik)?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Freakingstang said:
here are some pics of other stuff I picked up today. I found an oregon bar mount filing tool that will take a chisel bit file. I don't have pics, but could post up a couple of that too. lol. Check out the new 21" bar on the 038. You can tell how long this has been sitting. When did Sandvik make their own bars (before they were Windsor-Sandvik)?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cool beans on them saws. All of them look like they are in good shape. I sense a big collection being built, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Steve,
I'd love to get my filthy mitts on a 5000 like that, I have terrific memories of that saw but it has been a few years. now if I remember right the 5000 turned into a couple of j-red models one is the 495 but it also turned into the husky 50 which was then the 51 and then the 55. my point is I'm sure somethings are different but the carb from a 50 may work as they both were lacking a choke plate. I happen to have in my possesion without a need for it pm me if you would like it.

Buck

oh yeah something else to think of is the carb problem may be related to the choke which is a weak link on high use saws.

buck futter said:
Steve,
I'd love to get my filthy mitts on a 5000 like that, I have terrific memories of that saw but it has been a few years. now if I remember right the 5000 turned into a couple of j-red models one is the 495 but it also turned into the husky 50 which was then the 51 and then the 55. my point is I'm sure somethings are different but the carb from a 50 may work as they both were lacking a choke plate. I happen to have in my possesion without a need for it pm me if you would like it.

Buck

oh yeah something else to think of is the carb problem may be related to the choke which is a weak link on high use saws.

Appreciate it Buck, But I do have a stockpile of 50-55 parts...I know there is a carb or 3 out there!

But, I believe it is more inline with needing a rebuild and the tank cleaned out. According to the guy I got the saws from (all 3) he said they have been sitting for approximately 5-6 years. The poulan fired right up after dumping out the old fuel and spraying the cylinder down with a shot of WD-40. hte partner ran, but doesn't want to idle. I figure I pull the carb and throw a carb kit at it after cleaning it.

I don't really need the 5000, so it may be up for sale when I get a chance to take a look at the carb. There are plenty of people that know what this saw is capable of. That is why I picked it up, didn't really need it, but it is so clean and seen such little use.

-Steve

Hey steve, shoot a pic of the oregon square file tool. Also what model number is on it. The only one i seen that held a square file, was for the raker files.

Another 5500

Hey steve, the deals are out there a guy paid $10 bucks for this running Poulan 5500. Just needed a new b+c. I offered him double just cause it was poulan green lol.
5500.jpg

so what, you are saying you got one? lol. I gave more than that for mine....a lot more than that. Probably too much, but I "needed" lol.
And the stickers are worn off ot it.....

If you get it, can I buy that clutch cover with the sticker and the dawg? lol.

-Steve

Nope steve this was 8 months ago. Just thought it was funny you got one now, after I have been waiting on a call for the one in the pic. He said he would contact me if he ever sold it though. He was going to try and mill with it and thats the last I heard of it. Dont need it now, but sure like all that lime green on that big dolmar saw.

Cut4fun said:
Nope steve this was 8 months ago. Just thought it was funny you got one now, after I have been waiting on a call for the one in the pic. He said he would contact me if he ever sold it though. He was going to try and mill with it and thats the last I heard of it. Dont need it now, but sure like all that lime green on that big dolmar saw.

Yeah, Aint it cool? I love it! I may try it on the mill, whenever I get one, but that will mainly be for the 066. I plan to keep this pretty nice and break it out every once in a while. Would be cool at the get togethers to see an old pull-on run some decent times. I may have to call Big dave and get another piston and cylinder to play with :laugh: like I don't have enough projects on the list already. lol

-Steve

Good saw. Looks to be in great shape. I keep looking for those big Dolmar saws and just do not find them. I am green with envy.

This poulan will be for sale if anyone is interested, PM me. I have too many saws and need to clean house a little.

Saw runs good, and has great compression. Nothing is broken that I have seen, but I have not really ran it much. It could probably use a carb kit to freshen it up.

Let me know if interested?

-Steve

Latest posts

Back